Content Editor (Craft Books)
1970 Broad Street, East Petersburg, PA, United States, 17520
Fox Chapel Publishing, a growing book and magazine publisher, is seeking a Content Editor with a with a background in illustrated book publishing with a focus on craft to support a busy Editorial department. Successful candidates will be able to take a completed manuscript and manage the development and production of the finished book, collaborating with the author, acquisition editor, designer, and publisher (and any other relevant contributors). A bachelor’s degree in English, Creative Writing, or Journalism is preferred, along with a minimum of three years of related experience. This position is open to full-time or part-time candidates and telecommuters. We offer generous benefits, including medical and 401k plans and paid holiday and vacation time. We are an equal opportunity employer.
- Manuscript development: partnering with the author and designer to develop and execute book projects that meet the goals established by the acquisition editor
- Manuscript editing: preparing raw manuscript content for layout by editing, text styling, storyboarding, and developing page samples
- Manuscript review: reviewing book drafts; overseeing the copyediting, proofreading, and indexing of book drafts; overseeing the draft review/approval process; working with the designer and author to execute changes requested by the publisher, acquisition editor, copyeditor, proofreader, or other contributors
- Project management: keeping all active projects on deadline and budget by tracking and managing due dates and expenses
- Must possess excellent manuscript development and editing skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style guidelines appreciated)
- Must be able to work beyond the scope of line editing to create a product that is visually appealing, user friendly, and meets the marketing and sales expectations of the project
- Must be able to independently handle and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Must be detail oriented (accurate, neat, and meticulous) with excellent organizational skills and follow-through
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be willing to collaborate with a wide range of other team members
- Must be skilled at author relations—able to develop and maintain good relationships with authors and guide them in producing valuable content for our readers. Maintain author loyalty by making Fox Chapel their first choice.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel are required (familiarity with publishing software programs such as Acumen, ACE Project, and Adobe Creative Suite appreciated)
Special instructions for applicants:
We require completion of the editing test found at http://fcpweb.com/fcp/editorial/Editing%20Test_KW.doc as well as a cover letter and resume with recent salary history. Email to HR@foxchapelpublishing.com, or mail to, Fox Chapel Publishing, Attn: Human Resources (Editorial), 1970 Broad Street, East Petersburg, PA 17520. Please, no phone calls.