Author Happiness Advocate
175 5th Avenue, New York, NY, United States, 10010
Pronoun works with thousands of authors to help them create, publish, and promote their books. Although much of what we offer our authors is backed by data and technology, what really fuels us is the human connection. We love authors, and we care about what they need.
As our Author Happiness Advocate, you’ll be on the front lines of author communication. When authors reach out for support, they’ll receive your friendly, reassuring responses, and when they have problems, you’ll help find solutions. Along with the rest of our product and marketing team, you’ll directly impact how we best give our authors what they need.
This role is ideal for someone with one to three years of experience at a technology start up or publishing company, with strong organizational skills and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely by email and on social media.
If you’re a kind-hearted problem-solver who sees the glass as half full and believes books and the people who write them make the world a better place, we want to hear from you!
• Provide excellent customer support to authors, mostly over email
• Troubleshoot product issues and report bugs when necessary
• Write internal and external documentation
• Compile feedback from authors and present to the team
• Review books we publish for content issues
• Work closely with product and marketing to improve our tools and communication
• Be a strong advocate for our authors and work hard to make them happy
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Exceptional writing and communication skills
• Ability to empathize with authors, ask productive questions, and find solutions even when information is limited
• Some experience troubleshooting technical products is a plus
• Must love books!
• Experience working with customers
• Start-up environment experience is a plus
Educational Background Required:
• BA/BS or equivalent experience
Pronoun is a digital book publishing platform owned by Macmillan Publishers. Pronoun’s
mission is to build a new model for independent publishing that puts authors first while bringing smarter technology and data to traditional prestige publishing.
Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Flatiron Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences — race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace.