1863 Monroe Street, Madison, WI, United States, 53711
Title of Position: Bookseller “Plus”
Part-time, 25+ hours/week, 12 months
Flexible schedule required including day, evening and weekend hours
Promotional opportunities available
Hourly Pay: commensurate with experience
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and a list of up to three references.
Applications Due: Tuesday, June 20, 2017
- Some higher education
- Two years of relevant work experience which would demonstrate the ability to work successfully in a bookstore environment
- Retail experience required
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work with a wide-variety of people
- Ability to learn and manage new technology
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail oriented and the ability to work independently
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Retail bookstore experience
- Assisted in and/or managed events
- Familiarity with social media and ability to post relevant bookstore news
- Proven ability to write succinctly and meaningfully
- Avid reader of a wide-range of genres, including mystery
- Welcome customers as they enter the bookstore and ask them how they can be assisted.
- Respond to enquiries and provide answers to questions about book titles and author names, etc.
- Provide customers with information on book-release dates and availability
- Process special orders efficiently
- Be familiar with Booklog, the point of sale (POS) and inventory management software
- Take payments for books and merchandise sold, process checks, credit cards and debit cards
- On opening the store, perform re-stocking check and reconcile inventory as necessary
- Maintain knowledge of book displays, etc, to be able to direct customers accordingly
- Maintain knowledge of upcoming events to share with customers
- Keep store neat and tidy
- Balance cash register at end-of-day
- Work with manager and owner to gauge monthly and/or weekly book sale targets
Bookseller Plus Duties
Promotional opportunities include, event management, backlist ordering and social media management.
Physical demands and work environment
This position is as a bookseller and work is performed in a retail sales setting. First and foremost, the position requires an attention to customers and may frequently require disconnecting from other tasks.
The position also requires the ability to lift cartons of books often weighing up to 70 pounds and the ability to climb up and down ladders to shelve inventory, etc.
The position requires some evening and weekend work as well as off-site event sales.
Mystery to Me curates a wide selection of mystery, and is responsive to customers who want more than mystery by offering a generous collection of "Something Other Than Mystery" including NYT best-sellers, Indie Next Picks and books from small presses that we find are not-to-miss titles. We also offer a delightful selection of children and young adult titles.
At Mystery to Me we believe that people are still looking for a physical space that provides the kind of community an independent bookstore has to offer. Having neighbors believe in the "buy local" philosophy is important to the store's success - that and a healthy respect for e-commerce.
Mystery to Me hosts regular author and book-related events both on-and off-site.