115 West 18th Street, New York, NY, United States, 10011
Abrams Books is a premier publisher of illustrated books publishing a wide range of high quality books for the art, design, children’s and craft markets. This position requires a creative and responsible designer to work with both the art director on design implementation and the design manager to ensure smooth departmental workflow. This is a growth position with the potential to create an ownership role in our YA category while simultaneously working on a wide range of books from board books/picture books to middle grade, young adult, and graphic novels.
• Design YA and middle grade book covers and interiors from start to finish in collaboration with illustrators
• Will handle making corrections to reprints, preparing jacket mechanics, and formatting files and finishes for production
• Convert sample pages/images/spreads for ibland, ppt, catalog, trade shows, etc.
• Assist Art Director with direction of creative talent
• Help form the ABRAMS KIDS brand identify along with the Creative Director
• Ability to transcend the “design umbrella” and think editorially as well as consider the marketing and sales angles
• BFA preferred
• Well versed in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign.
• Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines
• A proactive person with strong communication and collaboration skills
• Portfolio required
• Awareness of current trends in children’s illustration and design and familiarity with freelance designers and illustration agencies
• Illustrator and design contacts a must
• Hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
• Desire and ability to work collaboratively, respectfully, communicably, enthusiastically
• 3 years of book publishing experience
If possible, please include a link to view your portfolio.
ABRAMS is the preeminent publisher of high-quality illustrated books for adults, adolescents and young children. ABRAMS is the publisher of bestsellers such as the wildly popular "The Diary of A Wimpy Kid" series, award-winning cookbooks of Alton Brown and the stunning photography of Yann Arthus-Bertrand's "Earth From Above" series. ABRAMS is conveniently located in the NYC mid-town Chelsea area. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, 401 (k) plan, tuition assistance, summer hours and paid Christmas week vacation. Visit our website at www.abramsbooks.com