Publicity and Marketing Director
120 Wall Street, NY, NY, United States, 10002
The New Press (TNP), a 25-year-old award-winning, not-for-profit book publisher located in the Wall Street area (www.thenewpress.com), has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Publicity and Marketing Director to join the organization.
Reporting to the Publisher, the Publicity and Marketing Director is responsible for getting the broadest possible attention for The New Press and its books and authors.
This position supervises the Publicity and Marketing team consisting of Publicity and Social Media Manager, Publicist, Publicity and Marketing assistant and an intern, as well as an extensive roster of freelancers.
Working in conjunction with the Publisher and Editorial staff, the Director of Sales and Rights, and the Communications Manager, the Director must be a passionate and tireless advocate for TNP and its books and plays a leadership role in developing and sharing best practices, tools, and resources to accomplish TNP’s overall and title-specific marketing objectives. The Director also works closely with authors, chairs the weekly marketing meeting, and develops budgets, advertising, and marketing plans. This is a high-visibility position both within the organization as well as externally with reviewers, producers, and TNP's distributor, Perseus Distribution, which is part of Ingram.
Required Skills / Experience
- Extremely strong leadership and verbal skills, both oral and written, required
- Must be exceptionally collegial and well-organized and be comfortable juggling many projects at once and working collaboratively both within and outside of The New Press
- Must have relevant experience and accomplishments in trade book publicity and marketing
- Thorough knowledge of and outstanding contacts in the trade and with progressive and mainstream media as well as a thorough knowledge of the blogosphere and social media
- At least 10 years’ experience planning, executing and leading publicity and marketing efforts
- Solid working knowledge of Cision and generally technologically savvy
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree required
How to Apply
Please send your reply and a thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com; Reference “Publicity and Marketing Director” in the subject line. A writing sample will be required for candidates offered an interview. Submissions without thoughtful cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The New Press is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The New Press is affiliated with the Technical Office and Professional (TOP) Union, Local 2110 UAW AFL-CIO; however, this is a non-union management position.
The New Press provides a competitive salary and benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and LT & ST Disability Insurance, 401(k), etc., just to name a few.
About The New Press:
The New Press publishes books that promote and enrich public discussion and understanding of the issues vital to our democracy and to a more equitable world. These books are made possible by the enthusiasm of our readers; the support of a committed group of donors, large and small; the collaboration of our many partners in the independent media and the not-for- profit sector; booksellers, who often hand-sell New Press books; librarians; and above all by our authors.