Editorial Assistant, Children’s
195 Broadway, New York, NY, United States, 10007
Starts: Open Until Fillled
Summary: Provide administrative and editorial assistance to senior Editorial staff and Publisher.
• Answer phones, e-mail, fax, type, photocopying, mailing materials to authors and agents, file correspondence, process expenses, and handle general editorial tasks as needed by senior editorial staff.
• Scheduling and conference preparation.
• Trafficking and logging editorial materials on active projects, liaising with other departments (managing editorial, design, production, sales, marketing, publicity, contracts, and accounting).
• Communicating with authors, photographers, artists, and agents.
• Art and text management; organizing and labeling original art and digital files, creating art logs.
• Manage the Publisher’s calendar including travel arrangements. Answer Publisher’s phone.
• Create fact sheets, catalog copy, P&L drafts, cover copy, contract requests and PowerPoints as needed.
• Editorial tasks include: light proofreading, collating multiple set of galleys, keyboarding text corrections.
• Respond to unsolicited proposals/submissions/inquiries.
• Provide back-up assistance to reception as scheduled.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 1–2 years publishing and/or office experience.
• Ability to work independently and follow through consistently on assignments.
• Detail oriented: Position requires accuracy and careful attention to detail.
• Excellent grammar, spelling, communication, and writing skills. Pleasant, collegial manner is essential.
• Copyediting/proofreading experience preferred.
• Must be highly organized, energetic, and able to juggle multiple priorities efficiently and calmly.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Ability to create and maintain simple databases. InDesign, and iView Media Pro a plus.
• Demonstrated interest in children’s books or graphic novels.
No sponsorship available
*Please put the TITLE OF THE POSITION in the subject line. Please include a cover letter and your salary requirements.
ABRAMS is the preeminent publisher of high-quality illustrated books and gift paper products for adults, adolescents and young children, and creates critically acclaimed and bestselling works under the following imprints: Abrams; Abrams ComicArts; Abrams Image; Abrams Books for Young Readers; Amulet Books; Abrams Appleseed, Abrams Noterie, Abrams Press, and Abrams Calendars.
We practice the art of books. At the heart of this practice are the people—creators, colleagues, partners, and readers—who together form a passionate community committed to quality and integrity. We strive to be inclusive in our publishing and our organization, celebrating vibrant voices, cultures, and ideas.
ABRAMS is conveniently located in the financial district, NYC. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, 401 (k) plan, tuition assistance, summer hours and a paid Christmas week of vacation. More information about ABRAMS and our publishing program can be found at our website www.abramsbooks.com.