Sales and Marketing Manager
1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA, United States, 90049
Oversees the development and implementation of sales and marketing activities for Getty Publications, including publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, and sales initiatives to meet Getty Publications objectives.
Major Job Responsibilities
Manage Sales and Distribution
- Manage the relationship with Getty Publications’ trade distributors for print titles (Chicago Distribution Center in North America and Yale University Press outside North America).
- Manage the distribution of digital publications through established sales channels and research and develop new channels as appropriate.
- Manage the sale of titles directly to Amazon, exhibition venues, and other house accounts.
- Oversee the dissemination of title information, metadata, and sales materials.
- Work in collaboration with sales representatives so they are informed and enthusiastic about Getty Publications. Present titles in person and remotely at sales conferences and monitor and report on the performance of individual titles and the list as a whole.
- Work in close collaboration with the Getty shop to promote on-site and on-line sales for Getty Publications. Consult with the Getty shop staff to strategize marketing, publicity and sales opportunities and to plan events and special promotions.
- Oversee the development and production of seasonal sales catalogues, signage, flyers, and other promotional materials produced in support of Getty Publications sales and marketing efforts.
Monitor front- and backlist inventory and manage reprints, remainder sales, and end-of-life processes.
Regularly review backorder, inventory and other reports to be alert to stock transfer or reprint requirements for front- and backlist inventory.
Lead annual review of low-stock titles to identify OSI and OP candidates.
With support from Senior. Budget Analyst, regularly review excess inventory to identify titles that may be appropriate for remainder, white sale, discounting, donation or pulping.
Serve as Marketplace Resource
- Monitor marketplace issues, new technologies, new sales channels, and trends in the performance of the list and individual titles and advise the Publications management team of concerns and opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Getty Publications and Trust-wide to identify and manage sales and marketing-related issues and opportunities.
Manage Title Pricing, Sales, and Discount strategies
- Evaluate audience and market for proposed publications and provide sales forecasts, pricing and discount strategy, and format guidance for each title being considered for publication.
- Conduct market research on comparable titles, analyze sales histories and performance of similar titles, and solicit feedback and sales projections from the Getty store and from Getty trade distributors.
Supervise Marketing Team and Budget
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Getty Publications Sales and Marketing Department. This includes hiring, supervising, evaluating and mentoring staff members (Senior Marketing Coordinator/Direct Sales and Marketing Coordinator/Publicity).
- Manage the departmental budget and expenditures related to marketing, sales, and promotion; assign projects and manage workload; and identify and contract with vendors and freelance staff to work on specific projects as needed.
- Oversee the promotion, publicity and advertising of Getty Publications. Work in collaboration with the Marketing Coordinator/Publicity to create a detailed publicity and advertising plan (in both print and electronic media) for each title on the list and ensure that it is executed properly. Write and/or review/edit all press and publicity materials.
- Oversee direct marketing of publications through print and electronic materials. Work in collaboration with the Senior Marketing Coordinator/Direct Sales to create a detailed marketing plan for each title on the list and ensure that it is executed properly.
- In collaboration with the Senior Marketing Coordinator/Direct Sales organize Getty Publications’ presence at trade shows and academic conferences. Represent Getty Publications in person at select trade shows and conferences.
Collaborate with Getty colleagues
- Work in tandem with Getty Trust Communications to plan and synchronize publicity and advertising efforts relating to Getty Publications.
- Interact with colleagues and authors to strategize sales, marketing, and publicity opportunities and to plan and execute promotional and publicity events.
Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, English, art history or related field, master’s degree preferred
- 10 years experience in book sales and/or marketing, preferably with art or academic press, with a demonstrated record of success