Director, Subsidiary Rights
1290 6th Avenue, New York, NY, United States, 10104
The Director of Subsidiary Rights is responsible for overseeing subsidiary rights for the Perseus publishing group at Hachette Book Group.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Identify potential subrights opportunities and make presentations to potential clients.
• Negotiate and sell domestic and foreign rights for imprint.
• Negotiate co-production editions, in collaboration with the production team.
• Sell at book fairs and attend other company events as assigned.
• Supervision of Sub-rights staff.
• Create sales budget and revenue estimates.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Knowledge of selling rights and licensing.
• Knowledge of book production, timing for run-ons, pricing, shipping, billing.
• Ability to be a self-starter and work independently.
• Proven sales ability.
• Experience in preparing selling presentations in PowerPoint.
• Ability to travel.
• Polished oral and written communication skills.
• Minimum of 5 years of Subsidiary Rights experience.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
• Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
• Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
• Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
• Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
About Hachette Book Group:
Hachette Book Group is a leading trade publisher based in New York and a division of Hachette Livre (a Lagardère company), the third-largest trade and educational publisher in the world. HBG publishes under the divisions of Little, Brown and Company, Little Brown Books for Young Readers, Grand Central Publishing, Orbit, Hachette Books, Hachette Nashville, and Hachette Audio.
HBG’s bestselling authors include Sherman Alexie, David Baldacci, Sandra Brown, Stephen Colbert, Chris Colfer, Michael Connelly, Amy Cuddy, Jeffery Deaver, Tina Fey, Malcolm Gladwell, Shannon Hale, Elin Hilderbrand, Mark Hyman, T.D. Jakes, Sebastian Junger, John Maxwell, Brad Meltzer, Joyce Meyer, Stephenie Meyer, J.R. Moehringer, Joel Osteen, Gwyneth Paltrow, James Patterson, Randy Pausch, David Perlmutter, Jerry Pinkney, Keith Richards, J.K. Rowling, J.D. Salinger, Stacy Schiff, David Sedaris, Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler, Nicholas Sparks, Jon Stewart, Donna Tartt, Scott Turow, David Foster Wallace, Brent Weeks, Tom Wolfe, and Malala Yousafzai.
In addition to selling and distributing its own imprints, HBG provides a wide range of custom services to third party publishers, such as distribution, fulfillment, digital and sales services. Some of HBG’s clients include: Harry N. Abrams, Chronicle Books, Disney Book Group, Gildan Media, Hachette UK, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Kids Can Press, Marvel, Moleskine, Nicholas Brealey, Octopus Books, Paula Deen Ventures, Peterson’s, Phaidon Press, Phoenix International Publications (pikids), Quarto Publishing Group, Quercus, Time Inc. Books, and Yen Press.