Associate Art Director
195 Broadway 9th floor, New York, NY, United States, 07016
Starts: Open Until Filled
Collaborate the creation and execution of Amulet Books (Middle-Grade to YA) and Appleseed (0-5). Manage all aspects of art and design, and help create the overall aesthetic and identity of the list. In addition, this position will manage an Assistant Designer, helping craft their evolution and growth.
- Manage, support, and drive the design process for 40+ titles per year (including book, non-book, and book-plus)
- Provide critical input on the selection of books to be published and the overall balance of the list
- Collaboratively define the goals and mission of the imprint, and consistently meet those goals by maintaining a high quality of art and design
- Brainstorm original formats, and creatively develop submissions or external ideas
- Scout and hire illustrators, photographers, paper engineers, and freelance designers
- Art direct creative talent
- Maintain current knowledge of competitors’ products and 0-5 trends and middle grade to YA book trend
- Minimum of 5-10 years design experience in children’s book publishing and/or product
- Ability to transcend the “design umbrella” and think editorially and developmentally, as well as consider the marketing and sales angles
- Current knowledge of the children’s book market, from board books to YA
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively, respectfully, communicatively, enthusiastically
- Proficiency with current Adobe Design Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Sufficient knowledge of the manufacturing and production process for novelty
- Illustrator, agent, and packager contacts a plus
- Experience managing a team member a plus
No sponsorship available
*Please include the TITLE of the position in the subject line. Please include your salary requirements.
About Abrams Books:
ABRAMS is the preeminent publisher of high-quality illustrated books and gift paper products for adults, adolescents and young children, and creates critically acclaimed and bestselling works under the following imprints: Abrams, Abrams ComicArts, Abrams Image, Abrams Books for Young Readers, Amulet Books, Abrams Appleseed, Abrams Noterie, Abrams Press, and Abrams Calendars.
We practice the art of books. At the heart of this practice are the people—creators, colleagues, partners, and readers—who together form a passionate community committed to quality and integrity. We strive to be inclusive in our publishing and our organization, celebrating vibrant voices, cultures, and ideas.
ABRAMS is conveniently located in the financial district, NYC. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, 401 (k) plan, tuition assistance, summer hours and a paid Christmas week of vacation. More information about ABRAMS and our publishing program can be found at our website www.abramsbooks.com.