University of Washington, Seattle, WA, United States, 98195
Starts: Open Until Filled
The UW Press has an outstanding opportunity for an Acquisitions Editor to acquire and transmit 15-20 high-quality trade manuscripts annually for publication for regional and national audiences. Areas for acquisitions will complement the press's existing editorial program, with the opportunity to build distinguished lists in other areas.
Successful applicant will work creatively and independently to seek out promising new manuscripts and manage multiple, deadline-drive projects simultaneously.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Actively recruit new book proposals and manuscripts.
* Develop and sustain a strong network of press authors, prospective authors, and advisers.
* Attend select conferences, and travel regionally to scout new projects.
* Recommend revisions to authors of manuscripts under review; work with authors on implementing revisions.
* Prepare budgets for manuscripts proposed for publication.
* Negotiate contracts in consultation with Director and Editor-in-Chief.
* Acquire and transmit 15-20 new manuscripts per fiscal year.
* Solicit and evaluate book proposals and manuscripts in assigned areas and determine their suitability for publication.
* Identify and engage outside readers to provide peer review.
* Prepare materials for presentation to the faculty press committee. Attend press committee meetings.
* Work collaboratively with other press departments to develop appropriate and effective publishing plans for titles acquired.
* Identify and help secure grants and title subsidies to underwrite publication costs.
Bachelor's Degree in humanities or social sciences, or a discipline related to assigned acquisitions areas.
Three or more years of publishing experience.
Proven track record of working successfully with authors.
Excellent networking, organizational, and written and oral communication skills.
Graduate work or advanced degree.
Acquisitions experience with a trade or scholarly publisher.
Demonstrated success in list building.
Please apply online at: https://uwhires.admin.washington.edu/candidates/
Job requisition # is 151890
Established in 1920, the University of Washington Press supports the university’s research, education, and outreach missions by publishing important new work for an international community of scholars, students, and intellectually curious readers. As one of the largest book publishers in the Pacific Northwest, the press also offers a broad range of regional books for general readers, often developed in partnership with museums, cultural organizations, and local indigenous communities. The press is currently expanding its publishing program and, with this growth, is eager to bring in new ideas, new enthusiasm, and the opportunity for a new editor to join a terrific team of publishing professionals. Seattle based, the press is part of a vibrant book culture, with independent bookstores, museums, libraries, and book supporters throughout the city and region.