Publishing Director, Brand, Licensed & Media TIe-in Publishing, LBYR
1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States, 10104
The Publishing Director, Brand, Licensed & Media Tie-in Publishing will set the creative vision and strategy for LBYR’s publishing in these key areas, including overseeing acquisition, editing, packaging, and scheduling of brand, licensed, and TV and film tie-in programs. The Publishing Director will supervise editorial team and collaborate with the Director, Licensing and Brand Management and colleagues in Design, Finance, Legal, Sales, and Hachette international to maximize publishing programs to achieve optimum sales and profit results.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify brand and licensed opportunities with both frontlist and backlist potential; determine ideal publishing strategy/formats (including digital) and positioning within LBYR list.
- Oversee editorial team of four
- Develop, coordinate, and oversee TV and film tie-in programs—both homegrown properties and original TV/film properties
- Pursue opportunistic publishing as appropriate to take advantage of current trends.
- Oversee creation of P&Ls, fact sheets, and catalog copy.
- Collaborate with licensing teams at Hachette in Paris and UK
- Participate in Editorial, Publication Committee, Jacket Committee, Portfolio, Production, Marketing, and Sales meetings as appropriate; represent LBYR at industry conventions as appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 7 years of brand and licensed book publishing experience, including TV/Film tie-ins.
- Proven ability to identify hot trends, licenses, and TV/film properties and acquire, plan, and package them to stand out in a competitive market.
- IP development experience desired
- Strong connections with licensors – film studios, TV networks, toy companies, etc.
- Solid knowledge of book publishing process and brand/licensed market, as well as contractual terms and legal issues specific to license and media tie-in publishing.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with licensors, authors, agents and HBG staff.
- Solid Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel skills
- Supervisory skills required.
- Marketing background a plus.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
- Takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.