133 SW Second Avenue, Suite 405, Portland, OR, United States, 97204
The Creative Director will lead the Timber Press design team. He or she will be responsible for conceiving and executing the creative vision for our highly illustrated list of roughly 50 books (covers and interiors) per year. The Creative Director will have a critical eye for design, excellent communication skills, and an organized workflow as both a designer and art director.
The ideal candidate is a motivated and creative individual with book design experience, possessing exceptional skills in design, art direction, communication, and time and project management. This position encompasses the wide range of responsibilities involved with conceptualizing, art directing, designing, and managing the creation of high-quality books and packaging. He or she understands the publishing industry and design trends and possesses a passion both for creative thinking and for books.
The Creative Director performs the following job duties:
- Directs all aspects of design and leads projects through the design process from conception through approval and production reviews to the finished book.
- Supervises and inspires in-house design staff. Oversees the flow of artwork, design assignments, and production materials circulating in and out of the department.
- Works with the design team as they source, hire, and direct freelancers: reviews creative briefs, negotiates and processes contracts, and reviews all incoming work.
- Determines appropriate fees and scopes of work for each title and adheres to budgets.
- Manages workflow and scheduling to ensure that key production and sales dates are met.
- Establishes best practices, reviews and reinforces design processes within the department, and leads other departmental initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with all members of the creative team as well as with editorial, production, marketing, publicity, and sales teams.
- Brings new trends in design to the company and contributes to new project development.
- Working knowledge of print production.
- Participates in proposal discussions about new books.
- Presents covers to the sales team twice yearly.
- BA/BFA in art/design or related field
- 7+ years of experience in book design
- 3+ years of experience in managing a design team
- Ability to conceptualize a broad range of designs appropriate for various audiences and markets
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- The ability to manage and direct with confidence and finesse
- An affinity for mentoring and developing designers
- A collaborative work style, with the ability to interact positively and effectively with editorial, marketing, publicity, and production, as well as with authors, artists, and other suppliers
- Timely and efficient follow-up with collaborators
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Understanding of print production
- Understanding of current design trends in illustrated books
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite applications (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro)
About Timber Press:
Timber Press is a Portland, Oregon-based publisher specializing in illustrated books on nature, horticulture, and popular science. Our mission is to share the wonders of the natural world by publishing books from experts in the fields of gardening, horticulture, and natural history. We are part of Workman Publishing.