133 SW 2nd Ave Suite 450, Portland, OR, United States, 97204
The Timber Press art department builds beautiful, essential books for gardeners, landscape professionals, scientists, foragers, hikers, and plant lovers. We invite the reader to explore the natural world, whether in the garden, in the wild, or in the pages of a well-designed book.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, lay out, and produce book interiors, including: design and market research; book design, type specifications, and layout; page revisions and text corrections; and preparing books for delivery to the printer.
- Research, design, and produce book covers and jackets.
- Prepare and present your own work at critiques and design meetings.
- Productively encourage, receive, and synthesize criticism of your work, and the work of your team, from a variety of stakeholders, both locally and from our parent companies in New York and Massachusetts.
- Manage freelance designers for cover design, interior design, layout and production.
- Build and maintain a pool of freelance designers, illustrators, and photographers.
- Manage art and illustration programs, including budgets, contracts, illustration development, and commissioning and managing freelance illustrators.
- Research art, typography, illustrators, photographers, and designers to remain up-to-date on current design and aesthetic trends. Be prepared to share and discuss findings at Art Department meetings.
- Collaborate with editors, designers, marketing and production staff throughout the book development and creation process.
- Other tasks as required.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in book design and production, including the ability to prepare electronic files for press
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the design, structuring, layout, and production of professionally printed, bound, and manufactured books.
- Proven skills in Adobe Creative Suite applications—expert level in InDesign and Acrobat, high proficiency in Illustrator, and a working understanding of Photoshop and Bridge. Fluency in MS Excel and Word also preferred.
- Extensive experience working with typography and typesetting in a publishing environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Our books are written, read, and depended upon by experts in their fields—as such, our work requires an unfailing dedication to accuracy and procedure. Must demonstrate an ability to strictly adhere to an array of checklists, style guides, and quality assurance checks that such rigor demands.
- An interest in plants, gardening, and/or natural sciences is recommended, but not required.
- Must have close visual acuity
- Cannot be color blind
- Must be able to sit or stand in one location for extended periods of time
Candidates should submit a PDF of their work or a link to their personal portfolio website along with their resume. Due to the typically high volume of applicants, we will unfortunately not be able to respond to each individual.
About Timber Press:
Timber Press is a publisher located in Portland, Oregon. Our mission is to share the wonders of the natural world by publishing books from experts in the fields of gardening, horticulture, and natural history. Grow with us!