Director of Bookstore Retail and Event Operations
242 E. Berkeley Street, Boston, MA, United States, 02118
About the Organization
More Than Words (MTW) is a social enterprise that empowers youth who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. By working as a team to manage their own retail and online used book business and community space, youth develop the employment skills, leadership, and self-confidence they need to successfully transition to adulthood.
MTW is an exemplary organization that has continually held up a mirror to identify areas for improvement and accountability; that ethic is part of the culture and fabric of MTW, and it extends to our commitment to ensuring our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.
If you love working with people, diving into the world of books while staying up to date on current industry trends, creating amazing customer experiences through visual displays and have a knack for motivating teams to reach and exceed sales goals, this is the perfect position for you! Your creativity and retail experience will be fully utilized to launch and grow a brand new social enterprise bookstore, marketplace and event space in the South End of Boston. This new bookstore is currently under construction in the thriving New York Streets neighborhood in Boston’s South End, surrounded by Ink Block, the Troy and a ton of retail and restaurant operations. The 4,000 square foot space will be a center for engaging events and rental opportunities.
As Director of Bookstore Retail and Event Operations, you empower staff and youth to manage the day to day bookstore and marketplace operations - driving sales, managing inventory, displaying merchandise, overseeing financial reporting, providing exemplary customer service, and building and maintaining relationships – all while fostering an environment that creates a community space where all are welcome. You supervise 2-4 adult staff business training managers including a new position – Associate Director of Events - to launch our new social enterprise event space and create a vibrant calendar of arts and culture events and rental opportunities.
Retail Management and Visual Marketing:
- Business Management – Maximize store and market sales by driving to targets through systems for strong customer service, tracking key performance indicators and applying analysis to merchandising strategies
- Inventory Management – Devise inventory sourcing strategy in collaboration with business development team, keeping fresh and visually appealing stock and being responsive to customer trends
- Social Enterprise Marketplace – Create systems to curate social enterprise market goods, overseeing ordering and sales tracking and analyzing sales generation for product evaluation
- Visual Merchandising – Manage training and systems for routine and seasonal marketing and display rotations – idea generation, promotions, displays and vendor management
- Financial Reporting – Conduct analysis of financial and sales data to inform forecasting and strategy, report to Boston Site Director and leadership team
Youth Empowerment and Training:
- Ongoing Training – Develop and implement training materials and systems for youth to manage an extraordinary bookstore and customer service experience. Work alongside youth to provide ongoing training, feedback and support for youth to improve performance in-store and marketplace business operations
- Teamwork and Communication - Build a culture of team work, communication, continuous learning and meaningful feedback
- Accountability - Hold youth employees and adult staff accountable for all safety, policies and performance including attendance, punctuality, professionalism and efficiency with tasks on shift
- Inspire Creative Thinking – Empower youth to take positive risks implementing their own ideas within the business
Leadership and Team Management:
- Motivate, Inspire and Develop – Set clear goals, encourage teamwork and outline expectations by coaching team on store operations, merchandise placement, visual display and business analysis
- Operational Targets – Set clear targets for operational standards and facility management, ensuring safety and risk management
- Collaborate – Collaborate with other MTW Department Heads to drive business and create a culture of shared accountability, profitability and youth training
- Supervision and Training – Deliver clear performance expectations, routine supervision and performance evaluations with fair and timely feedback for growth and development
- Hands-on experience successfully managing a bookstore retail operation and team – including managing budgets, store layout, visual merchandising, and exemplary customer service
- Experience supervising and training staff
- Strong collaboration, customer service and communication skills
- Ability to communicate with people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training and experience – written and verbal
- Strong capacity to both lead and participate in cross-functional teams to define issues and agree on processes, strategies and outcomes. Collaborative work style and the ability to either take direction or work independently as the situation requires
- Proficient in Quickbooks, Microsoft Office Suite, Point of Sale platforms and other business software as needed for requirements of position
- Physical activity required – spending the majority of time on the selling floor, which requires prolonged standing, repetitive bending, lifting, and climbing
- Flexibility with scheduling to support staff on varying operation shifts; availability for some early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays to align with store needs
- Must be able to work some weekends and holidays, depending on store needs and special events
- Medical and Dental Insurance, 401K
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Significant growth opportunities and professional development
- Employee Discounts
- Salary commensurate with experience
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to retaildirector@MTWyouth.org and reference RD-SA in the subject line.
More Than Words is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, citizenship status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.