National Account Manager
680 2nd St, San Francisco, CA, United States, 94107
Chronicle Books is excited to announce an opening for a highly motivated salesperson with proven publishing sales experience, a track record of success, and ability to develop new business as required for selling to national accounts. The National Account Manager will have full responsibility and accountability for every aspect of managing our accounts with Barnes & Noble and Ingram: forecasting, creating sales strategy, selling, follow up, and reaching or exceeding sales targets. This position will be charged with actively seeking to grow our business and market share and with expanding our breadth of representation in these accounts while managing day-to day business, co-op, and other account-specific promotions. The National Account Manager will be required to provide feedback and information from accounts to inform Chronicle Books’ publishing efforts. Finally, this position is charged with driving the continuing development and growth of Chronicle Books’ and our distribution clients’ sales with these national accounts.
- Meet Sales targets set for each account and product group, including Chronicle (Adult non-fiction, Children’s, Gift, Games, and Calendars) and Distribution Clients (Gallison, Hardie Grant, Moleskine, Princeton Architectural Press, Laurence King, and Creative Company).
- Manage the business in a profitable way by controlling returns and other expenses within guidelines
- Increase market share within each account
- Actively and aggressively sell frontlist titles to meet targets budgeted by season
- Increase backlist and replenishment sales through:
- Account Business Reviews
- Backlist reviews
- Analysis of Replenishment and ordering cycles for key titles to ensure proper stocking and reorder activity
- Assist with inventory management within Chronicle Books to keep account base covered and to assure out of stocks are infrequent
- Promotions and store events focusing on backlist titles
- Negotiate promotional spend with accounts to maximize return on investment within budget
- Increase Chronicle Books exposure and relationships at all levels of the accounts’ organization
- Provide seasonal title by title forecast for account base
- Provide monthly and annual sales and returns forecast
- Proactively implement promotions and in store events to increase sales by working closely with the Chronicle Marketing department
- Proactively work with accounts, editorial and production for proprietary product development.
- Provide ongoing feedback to editorial and marketing about current and upcoming titles and projects
- Provide competitive information from account base: titles, promotions, terms, marketing
- Collaborate closely with Distribution Clients to meet their sales and merchandising goals
- Represent Chronicle Books at events or trade shows when needed – such as but not limited to BEA and Vendor Summits.
Qualifications: We are looking for a driven, self- motivated salesperson with the a proven ability to drive results with key national accounts.
The ideal candidate will be or have:
- Demonstrated success in managing and growing national account business
- Strategic thinker who finds creative ways to solve problems and meet financial goals
- Strong communicator who builds collaborative internal and extrenal partnerships
- Analytic thinker adept at forecasting sales and interprating sell through data in order to identify opportuitnies
- Strong presenter who enjoys selling
- Detail orientated with exceptional follow-up skills
- Demonstrate initiative and ability to work independently
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to priortize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Minimum of 3-5 years sales experience, preferably in publishing; previous management experience preferred; Barnes & Noble experience a plus; Gift experince a plus (journal, stationery, calendar, games)
- Ability to travel overnight (approximately 15%)
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Oracle, SalesForce (a plus)
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and compensation requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you're applying for the National Account Manager role in your subject line.
About Chronicle Books:
Chronicle Books was founded in 1967 and continues to be one of the most admired and respected publishing companies in the United States. Over the years, we have developed a reputation for award-winning, innovative books and gift products. Our independent company continues to challenge conventional publishing wisdom, setting trends in both subject and format across a list that is as diverse as it is distinctive. We value collaboration and creativity, we have a passion for design and quality, and we insist on surprising and delighting our readers. To succeed in our work, we seek and hire people who are committed to the open exchange of ideas and who help us cultivate an atmosphere of mutual accountability and trust.
Our mission says it best:
Inspired by the enduring magic of books, we cultivate and distribute exceptional publishing that is instantly recognizable for its spirit and creativity. Our collaborations spark the passions of adults and children worldwide, encouraging them to explore, connect, and see things differently.