Events & Marketing Assistant
686 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY, United States, 11217
Overview: The Events & Marketing Assistant will work with the Events & Marketing Director on arranging and promoting the bookstore’s author events and other programs. This includes working on all aspects of the events marketing cycle, including but not limited to communicating with publicists and authors; writing, copyediting, and distributing media press releases; posting events to the website and maintaining other website content; creating and scheduling email newsletters; creating print materials using InDesign; and using social media to promote events. In addition to author events, the Assistant will work on marketing for store programs including the First Editions Club (FEC), fundraisers and book drives, holiday promotions, and general store marketing and communication. The Events & Marketing Assistant will host some in-store author events and assist in training new event hosts and will also work to maintain event supplies and consistent hosting practices across both stores. The Assistant will also work on new marketing and events related projects as they come up and will assist the Events & Marketing Director in developing new programming and partnerships.
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work under pressure and problem solve on the fly
- Willingness to work autonomously but also be part of a team
- Ability to lift 30 pounds or more
- Availability to work flexible hours
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Communicate with publicists and authors
- Write/copyedit marketing materials
- Communicate with media
- Post events to the website and maintain website content
- Create and schedule email newsletter
- Design and print materials using InDesign
- Use social media to promote events and programs
- Market store programs including FEC, book drives, holiday promotions, etc
- Handle other aspects of store marketing and communication
- Host in-store events
- Train event hosts and maintain consistent hosting standards
- Work with Events & Marketing Director on development and new projects
Prerequisites: Experience with programming and marketing. Familiarity with the book industry (especially in terms of independent book retail) preferred.
Direct Supervisor: Events & Marketing Director
Schedule: Average 40 hours per week, divided between administrative/office time and occasional staffing of events.
Compensation: This is a salaried position; compensation commensurate with experience.
About Greenlight Bookstore:
Founded in October 2009, Greenlight Bookstore is a general independent bookstore with two store locations in the heart of Brooklyn. Through knowledgeable staff, curated book selection, community partnerships, exciting events, and a robust e-commerce website as well as beautiful bookstore spaces on Fulton Street and Flatbush Avenue, Greenlight combines the best traditions of the neighborhood bookstore with a forward-looking sensibility. More at www.greenlightbookstore.com.