Executive Director of Publicity
175 5th Ave, New York, NY, United States, 10010
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing and Publicity, the Executive Director of Publicity will hold a senior management role within the Tom Doherty and Associates publishing program. The Publicity Director oversees all of the Tom Doherty Associates imprints (Tor, Forge, Tor Teen, Starscape), and its authors and titles, ensuring high levels of standard and success.
The ideal candidate will have substantial experience managing a sizable team, creating and maintaining a network of broadcast, print and digital media contacts and designing and executing high-impact campaigns for works across fiction categories.
• Develop strategy and implementation of title-specific publicity plans for approximately 150 titles annually.
• Manage and mentor a team of eight publicists.
• Publicize lead books and authors on 2-3 campaigns per season; schedule interviews with broadcast and print media in national and local markets.
• Oversee booking of author media tours and in-store appearances.
• Coach and accompany authors on media interviews and events.
• Attend and work on the company’s presence at industry events, conferences and trade shows
• Write compelling press releases, pitch letters, and other promotional materials as necessary.
• Develop and maintain substantive relationships with key broadcast, print, and digital media contacts, pitch seasonal lists to major media outlets.
• Participate in and contribute PR perspective to key internal meetings, including senior staff meetings, acquisitions meetings, and marketing meetings.
• Create and maintain yearly publicity budget with VP, Director of Marketing and Publicity
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Strong management skills with experience in motivating a publicity team.
• Demonstrated booking and author tour management skills.
• Established network of broadcast, print, and digital contacts.
• Must have proven ability to work independently and excel in a fast-paced environment.
• Must be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, and collaborative.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to set priorities under pressure.
• At least 8-10 years' prior PR or publicity experience, with a record of success in publicizing and promoting across all fiction genres.
Educational Background Required:
• College Graduate
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC