2236 Sixth Street, Berkeley, CA, United States, 94710
Parallax Press is a nonprofit publisher founded by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. We publish books and media on the art of mindful living and Engaged Buddhism. We are committed to offering teachings that help transform suffering and injustice. Our mission is to contribute to collective insight and awakening, bringing about a more joyful, healthy, and compassionate society.
Parallax was founded in 1986, with the publication of Thich Nhat Hanh’s book Being Peace. We have over 150 active titles in print, and our books are available in 35 languages and in countries around the world. We are supported entirely by our sales, and our books are distributed through Penguin Random House. We have a thriving community of authors who write on a range of subjects that nourish happiness and show the connection between the inner and outer work for a more just and peaceful world.
As the nonprofit publishing division of Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism, a 501(c)3 organization, we are committed to a more sustainable and humane way of doing business. We strive to practice what we publish: we offer free books for people who are incarcerated, and make daily meditation and mindfulness practices part of the working day.
We are seeking an inspiring and collaborative Publisher/Executive Director who shares our values. You will be responsible for the effective management of our $2 million annual budget and leadership of our staff of dedicated professionals and the office dog, Pip.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to lead a thriving independent publishing house as we continue to grow.
This position reports to the Parallax Advisory Board.
The Publisher/Executive Director will:
- Serve as the standard-bearer for the organization, internally and externally.
- Provide strategic leadership and management.
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Parallax Advisory Board and the Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism board.
- Work with editorial staff to ensure the books published by Parallax align with the voice and mission of the press.
- Recruit and supervise staff, and maintain a creative and collegial workplace culture.
- With input from all teams, manage Parallax’s budget and lead the effort to chart a path of sustainable growth for the organization.
- Manage and maximize Parallax’s relationship with its distributor, Penguin Random House.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with booksellers, authors, other publishers, and community partners.
This job requires:
- A passion for the mission of Parallax.
- An understanding of mindfulness practice, a familiarity with Thich Nhat Hanh and the Plum Village tradition, or an existing mindfulness practice.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in leadership positions (the organization strongly prefers a candidate with significant publishing experience).
- A demonstrated ability to strategically plan, create, and execute an organizational vision while effectively managing resources.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to support and encourage creative talent.
- A willingness to embrace the diverse needs and motivations of a mission-based nonprofit.
- A forward-thinking mindset toward the evolving publishing landscape.
Salary dependent on experience. Parallax offers a full range of benefits, including health, dental, vision, and retirement. We also offer flexible hours, paid meditation and mindfulness retreats, and a supportive and joyful work environment. Parallax is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references by email with the words Publisher/Executive Director in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position open until filled, application review will begin July 16.