250 S. Northwest Highway, Suite 320, Park Ridge, IL, United States, 60068
What do The Boxcar Children, The Girl with the Red Balloon and Mary Had a Little Lab all have in common?
Being an Art Director at Albert Whitman & Company
Albert Whitman is growing, and we need an Art Director to help us grow. We’re looking for someone with a passion for creating high quality children’s books in all genres, from board books to picture books to Early Readers, Chapter Books, Middle Grade, and Young Adult.
- Love children’s books and excellent design
- Have at least seven years of book design experience, preferably in childrens books as well as in the Trade, School and Library markets
- Have previous experience managing/leading an art team
- Excel at conceptualizing, art directing, designing, and overseeing all stages of the book production process
- Be self-motivated but enjoy working within a strong team, be creative and have expert knowledge of layout, typography, time-management, budgets, and the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, AcrobatPro)
- Have experience managing freelance designers and photographers
- Be able to work closely and effectively with illustrators.
- Have a strong portfolio of original graphic design examples showing creative and appropriate use of typography with design ability ranging from traditional to contemporary to totally out-of-the box.
- In addition to base salary we have a bonus program for all employees
- BCBS PPO health plan
- Delta Dental
- Life, STD and LTD
- Amazing on site cafeteria
- We're located one block from train
- On site gym
- Relocation for out of state applicants
- Free copies of this years books
- Free Costco Membership
- Summer Friday's Off
We're located just outside Chicago in Park Ridge, Illinois, Albert Whitman has been publishing award-winning children's books since 1919. We publish fiction and non-fiction, humor, fantasy, and mysteries, as well as books on history, diversity, and sensitive social issues – books that appeal to all children.
If you believe you would enjoy joining our dedicated and creative team, we’d like to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter explaining why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position, along with your resume, and links/attachments of your portfolio showcasing your amazing designs.