Head Children's Buyer
1520 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA, United States, 95060
Bookshop Santa Cruz, a large independent bookstore located in Downtown Santa Cruz for 52 years, is seeking a candidate to manage our Children's Department. This position would include buying all new children's books, managing a team of children's booksellers, providing strategic direction for the section and working with a cross-section of families and educators to meet their needs. Candidates should have an extensive knowledge and passion for children's books and a vision on how to share that passion with our customers.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Manage the children’s department at Bookshop Santa Cruz including responsibility for the strategic direction of the department and meeting store goals.
- Make purchasing decisions for all children’s books acquired by Bookshop Santa Cruz through online catalog ordering, rep appointments, POS data and market analysis. Manage inventory levels and evaluate buying.
- Provide book recommendations to customers through daily bookselling, merchandising, writing reviews, meeting with educators and more. Strengthen the brand of Bookshop Santa Cruz by creating a strong and knowledgeable children’s book culture at Bookshop Santa Cruz.
- Manage 3-4 children’s booksellers including hiring, training, scheduling, directing and evaluating performance.
- Maintain and grow relationships with key stakeholders including publishers, teachers, schools, community organizations and customers. Work closely with Bookshop’s School Outreach Coordinator and Events Coordinator on all children’s programming.
- Travel to industry meetings to promote Bookshop Santa Cruz as needed.
Skills We Expect:
- Extensive knowledge of children’s literature and love of children’s books a must.
- Strong interpersonal skills including experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse network of individuals and organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Experience writing marketing text and publicly representing an organization/institution a plus.
- Experience with managing employees, projects and departments.
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Time management skills and ability to prioritize a large volume of tasks.
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
To apply, submit cover letter, resume & list of 15 of your favorite children’s books to email@example.com
Salary commensurate with experience. Dental & vision insurance & PTO after training period.
About Bookshop Santa Cruz:
Bookshop Santa Cruz is a leading independent bookstore located in Santa Cruz, CA. Bookshop Santa Cruz's space occupies 20,000 sq. ft. in downtown Santa Cruz and is a second-generation family-run business. The Children's Department accounts for 25% of new book sales and is the largest category in the store.