Special Markets Manager
124 Linden Street, Oakland, CA, United States, 94607
The Special Markets Manager is responsible for creating and implementing strategies to expand the sales of our books in the US in the non-book channels. This role is expected to develop strong relationships with key channel partners, consisting of specialty travel, tour operators, subscription services, flash sites, premium sales, proprietary sales, parks, display marketers, study abroad, outdoor retailers, museums, corporate accounts and national retailers and distributors.
The Special Markets Sales Manager will be expected to travel in/around the US, to meet with key accounts, distributors, chain retailers, and attend tradeshows.
Key Result Areas:
- Achieve monthly sales budgets for the assigned key accounts and sales territory, by account and by product
- Develop long and short term strategies for all key accounts and sales territory to assist in the achievement of sales targets
- Generate sales forecasts, reports and monitor results against sales targets
- Develop and nurture strong, professional and sustainable relationships with current partners
- Manage territory call-cycle, servicing current accounts and developing new accounts to meet sales targets through effective sales presentations and utilisation of sales and marketing support
- Work closely with the Finance team to ensure that all key accounts are managed within the necessary financial guidelines and terms of credit
- Attend and represent Lonely Planet at key account conferences and trade shows.
- Provide feedback and information to the Director of Trade Sales regarding key customers and channels to maximise future business.
- Identify and pursue new prospective partners and maintain a working pipeline
- Implement merchandising, including coop and in-store promotional activities to optimize brand marketing and revenue objectives.
- Develop point-of-purchase materials, displays / fixtures
- Manage / conduct routine sample and catalog mailings
- Manage partner logistics requirements and timely order flow working with the distribution team
- Maintain and utilize e-mail distribution lists for newsletters, promotional offers, publicity and marketing opportunities
- Participate in product development meetings
Teamwork & Communication
- Work as part of the LP community to create a positive, tolerant and harmonious work environment
- Deal with all staff in a helpful, courteous and respectful manner
- Communicate ideas which may improve the efficiency, performance or standards of your department and be open to the consideration of new ideas
- Actively participate in the giving and receiving of constructive feedback to ensure understanding and open team relationships
- Proactively work toward achieving your team and individual goals, demonstrating Lonely Planet’s relevant Core Competencies in ‘how’ you go about achieving outcomes.
Policies & Procedures
- Actively ensure that the workplace is kept free from harassment, bullying behaviour and discrimination through thoughtful behaviour and leading by example
- Work in accordance with Lonely Planet policy and procedural guidelines
- Comply with all Occupational Health and Safety guidelines, reporting any potential risks or hazards
- Follow safe work practices for self and others.
Key Skills / Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications / Attributes:
- BA or BS from 4-year University.
- Occupational experience within the bookselling, publishing or travel industries
- Special market sales in publishing a plus
- Demonstrated sales skills including a history of building strong and enduring client/account relationships with successful sales results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills. Comfortable presenting to small and large groups.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills, including an ability to work with competing priorities
- Self-motivated with strong results focus
- Ability & desire to travel on a regular basis.
- Ability to prioritize objectives and delegate tasks to achieve company and channel goals.
- Management capability.
- Passion for world travel, understanding of Lonely Planet’s mission and vision.
About Lonely Planet:
At Lonely Planet we live to travel. Everything we do is designed to inspire and enable travelers to get out and experience the world.