The finalists are of the Hayek Book Prize, sponsored by the Manhattan Institute and honoring "authors who best represent the principles of F.A. Hayek," are:
- Machine, Platform, Crowd: Harnessing our Digital Future by Andrew McAfee and Erik Brynjolfsson (Norton)
- India's Long Road: The Search for Prosperity by Vijay Joshi (Oxford University Press)
- Europe's Growth Challenge by Anders Aslund and Simeon Djankov (Oxford University Press)
- The High Cost of Good Intentions: A History of U.S. Federal Entitlement Programs by John F. Cogan (Stanford University Press)
- Clashing over Commerce: A History of U.S. Trade Policy by Douglas Irwin (University of Chicago Press)
The winner, who will receive a $50,000 award, will be announced in the spring and will deliver the annual Hayek lecture in New York in June.