Sales Associate, Special Markets
175 5th Ave, New York, NY, United States, 10010
Responsible for selling and overseeing in-house specialty retail and author accounts, including author events orders, author business accounts, College Board test prep accounts, and special mailings to targeted markets and accounts.
· Responsible for selling and growing an in-house specialty retail territory including but not limited to general gift stores, museum accounts, historic sites, hobby stores and zoos.
· Daily outreach, follow-up and email/phone correspondence with accounts; troubleshoot account issues as needed; ensure orders are received as expected.
· Create a business plan at the beginning of the year to map strategy for account base and evaluate results.
· Responsible for researching sales history and other account details in order to prepare and perform individualized sales presentations of our seasonal frontlist and backlist.
· Gather info from accounts and update supervisor and internal publishing contacts with account feedback on specific Macmillan titles including preparing monthly reports and providing estimates for upcoming titles.
· Attend in-house publisher launch meetings.
· Produce category sell sheets and provide assistance with putting together the Special Markets gift catalog.
· Write pitch letters and sales copy for sell sheets.
· Liaise with other departments to market our books to niche accounts.
· Research new business opportunities beyond the scope of the account base.
· Attend trade shows.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
· Excellent verbal and written skills—speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, especially over the phone.
· Strong selling skills—demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, changes approach or method to best fit the type of account he/she is working with, manages difficult customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, looks for and takes advantage of sales opportunities, identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
· Strong organizational skills and team work— completes work in a timely manner, adapts to changes in the work environment, balances team and individual responsibilities, and supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
· Independent thinking— gives authority to work independently, displays original thinking and creativity, and presents ideas and information in a manner that gets other’s attention.
· Strong computer skills—Microsoft Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint.
• 2+ years publishing experience, ideally in Special Markets or Sales.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC