175 5th Ave, New York, NY, United States, 10010
Manage production of general trade hardcover and paperback books, for Tor Books, and related imprints. Oversee early estimating of costs through book printing and binding.
• Evaluate paper, printing, binding, jacket or cover requirements
• Prepare and analyze cost estimates. Prepare and monitor individual title schedules.
• Issue purchase orders to various vendors for all phases of prepress and final book manufacturing
• Work closely with in-house departments and vendors to ensure schedules are maintained. Responsible for quality control throughout.
• Traffic production materials to in-house departments and outside vendors in a timely manner.
• Keep prompt and accurate records to ensure accuracy of departmental status reports.
• Review quality and costs for accuracy at the conclusion of all projects
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Knowledge of pre-press, estimating, scheduling, paper, printing and binding for trade and book production.
• Must be highly-organized, detail-oriented, thorough and accurate
• Flexibility to adapt to frequent changes; ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; capable of effectively prioritizing work, multi-tasking, and following up
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Strong computer skills
• Minimum five years book production experience
• Knowledge of publishing computer systems
• Good math skills
Educational Background Required:
• College degree
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC