9606 Aero Drive, Suite 1000, San Diego, CA, United States, 92123
Do you have experience as a Book Buyer, and want to work for an amazing retail company in San Diego? Be a part of our fascinating organization that puts its people, partners and patrons first!
The Buyer will be an experienced, highly motivated, results oriented, creative merchant who can develop and execute a product vision, and source exceptional products and packaging. As Buyer, you will be adept at managing dynamic product assortments in a collaborative environment.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Source and develop dynamic product assortments that support the departmental and store goals, align with our partner institutions, and maximize sales potential
- Work closely with VP of Purchasing and Store Directors to develop and implement cohesive well-rounded product assortments
- Initiate custom product development, both domestic and import
- Works closely with the visual merchandising team on display and signage to assist with product execution (as needed)
- Initiate competitive shopping and analyze sales trends
- Travel to appropriate trade shows as needed
- Visit stores to evaluate merchandise mix, and meet with venue partners to ensure a full understanding of the venue experience and partner needs and objectives
- Negotiate with vendors in order to achieve best possible price and terms, delivery, and quality of product while building and maintaining healthy, strong vendor relationships
- Meet or exceed revenue, SKU count, inventory, and margin goals
- Monitor and analyze performance versus plan to identify trends, organic growth, demographic, item, and category opportunities
- Work closely with V.P. of Vertical on overall inventory health and new product approvals
- Support Stores by coordinating weekly pulse calls, reviewing Core News and ICMs
- Prepare and match vendor invoices for accounting
- Enforce vendor compliance and resolve invoice discrepancies
- Special projects as assigned
Skills / Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years of retail product buying and product development experience
- Experience in buying for non-profit cultural attractions a plus
- Managerial / leadership experience a plus
- Full understanding of the technical and logistical aspects of product sourcing and custom product development
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to build and develop strong, long-term business relationships
- Strong math and analytical skills and a full understanding of retail buying metrics
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint with the ability to adapt to internal systems, tools, and programs
- Strong entrepreneurial skills with a desire for continuous professional growth
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Bi-lingual a plus
- Must be accurate, detail oriented, organized, assertive, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Must be self-motivated, responsible, and able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree or equivalent industry experience
About Event Network, LLC:
Our story begins with extraordinary people. They make us pretty great! It is a group of creative, detailed and passionate folks that make up our store and store support center teams that truly love what they do – helping further our partner’s missions by creating spectacular retail experiences.
Event Network, LLC is the leading premier retailer that proudly operates world-class cultural attraction retail stores throughout North America. Our venues include zoos, aquariums, museums, science centers, botanical gardens, traveling exhibitions and other highly regarded cultural attractions. To see a complete list of our partnerships, please visit us at www.eventnetwork.com.
OUR CORE VALUES
Our Core Purpose is simple: To extend and elevate the guest experience and achieve our partner's maximum retail potential. We bring a proven store support infrastructure and vast resources—as well as tremendous creativity and passion—that, over time, makes our Core Purpose a reality. Our culture is built upon a commitment to making each store better—in terms of the overall quality of the merchandise assortment, per capita sales and the guest experience—every day. All of these factors, as well as mission/brand enhancement, work together in a successful store.
We operate from the foundation of our Core Values (the acronym for which is GUSTO):
G - Go forward with courage
U - Uncompromising integrity and trust
S - Surpass all expectations
T - Total commitment to store quality
O - Our people, partners and patrons first
In all its forms, GUSTO encapsulates: (1) the type of people we want on our team; (2) the level of service and overall quality we expect in our stores; (3) and how we integrate with our partners and work with each other. We have achieved strong results.
OUR HOME OFFICE
At our San Diego home office, as in our stores, we work to cultivate a welcoming environment that enables our employees to thrive, providing the tools and resources for our team to succeed both personally and professionally. Our home office is designed to provide a work environment that encourages and fosters communication, collaboration and a sense of community. There is a family size kitchen with a flat screen TV, a fitness center and yoga studio, fully stocked showers and locker rooms. There is lots of open space and one big back yard – our very own private retreat with trees, a patio area and BBQ grills, a dog run, gardening plots, and a beautiful relaxation and butterfly garden. Dogs are welcome at our office on Fridays — you will find them at our desks, running and playing in the grass, and at our feet. Most importantly, at our offices and in our stores, there are fabulous people. The most creative, inspiring, dedicated people you’ll ever meet.
BENEFITS – WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED:
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits program that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical/Dependent Care, Life/AD&D, Long-Term Disability, 401(k) Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, and Store Discounts that can be used at any of our stores. We also provide a beautiful campus, fitness classes, healthy breakfast, free parking and more.
BRING YOUR TALENT TO US!
Apply today! We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with EVENT NETWORK is just what you’ve been looking for. You'll have the opportunity to join a team that takes pride in our amazing Company Culture. Share your commitment to excellence with us, and be a part of our culture of teamwork, creativity, inspiration & fun. You will enjoy an environment where you are encouraged and inspired to develop yourself professionally and personally, where you are celebrated and motivated, and where we promote wellness through healthy living to enhance your quality of life. Come see for yourself!
Event Network is an equal opportunity employer.