NW Portland, Portland, OR, United States, 97210
Tin House Books seeks an experienced, creative book publicist to work from our headquarters in beautiful Portland, Oregon. The ideal candidate is passionate about literature and well versed in literary publications, national and regional media, and event planning and promotion.
Tin House is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an equitable, inclusive environment for all employees.
The Publicity Manager conceives, manages, and executes publicity campaigns for 18-20 Tin House titles per year. The Publicity Manager reports to and works closely with our Director of Sales & Marketing, manages the Publicity and Marketing Assistant and the publicity internship program, works with our editorial team at every step of the publishing process, and develops meaningful partnerships with our authors.
- Collaborate with the Sales & Marketing Director to set publicity and marketing goals and devise an individualized campaign for each Tin House title
- Secure and coordinate national and local media coverage—reviews, interviews, excerpts, author essays, and more—for Tin House titles
- Compose pitch letters, press kits, and other promotional materials for all Tin House titles
- Create and maintain campaign management tools, including contact databases and company-wide calendars
- Refine media lists for each title; update and expand master list on an ongoing basis
- Oversee media mailings of galleys, finished copies, and special promotional materials
- Design, manage, and promote author tours, coordinating with bookstores, festivals, galleries, local media, and other publishers when appropriate
- Develop, implement, and measure effectiveness of social media strategy (Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook) for Tin House Books, in collaboration with Publicity and Marketing Assistant
- Communicate publicity news internally on a weekly basis (via in-house newsletter and title management software)
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with authors, reviewers, interviewers, bloggers, booksellers, librarians, social media influencers, and arts and cultural organizations
- Travel to New York as necessary to meet with media contacts and industry influencers
- Coordinate Tin House participation in industry events, trade shows, and book fairs
- Respond to press queries and review copy requests
- Consult with Editors on manuscript acquisitions and jacket copy
- Consult with Art Department on marketing campaign materials
- Oversee and support Publicity and Marketing Assistant
- Hire, train, and supervise Publicity and Marketing Interns
- At least 3 years of experience in a media relations role, preferably with a publishing house
- At least 1 year of management experience
- Impeccable organization skills and attention to detail
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Established relationships with reviewers, producers, and editors across the media spectrum, and experience securing meaningful, relevant press coverage
- A proactive PR approach, balancing daily and weekly opportunities with long-term goals
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others on a team, while also being self-directed and quick to take initiative
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion, and to doing the multifaceted work of book publicity through an equity lens
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Fluency with Mac OS and software, Google Suite, Cision, and major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)—experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, MailChimp, and Photoshop a plus
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the Publicity Manager will be required to move frequently, stand, walk, and sit. The Publicity Manager is frequently required to use eyes to see and read, use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and reach with hands and arms. The Publicity Manager must be able to use a computer and regularly lift and/or move up to 40lbs.
Monday–Friday, 9AM–5PM. Occasional evening/weekend events.
$45,000 annually. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Please send cover letter and resume with the subject line “Publicity Manager” to email@example.com. The deadline to apply is November 8, 2018 at 11:59PM PST.
Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
About Tin House Books:
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Tin House Books is a leading independent publisher that champions novels, nonfiction, poetry, and story collections by debut and established authors alike. Tin House authors have garnered acclaim everywhere from the New York Times and NPR to the Wall Street Journal and People Magazine. More information at www.tinhouse.com.