Publicity Manager/Associate Publicity Director - Grand Central Publishing
1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States, 10104
Hachette Book Group is looking for a Publicity Manager or Associate Publicity Director, depending on experience, for the Grand Central Publishing imprint. The Publicity Manager/Associate Director will be responsible for handling key fiction and non-fiction titles each season and developing the strategic vision and direction of all publicity efforts for those titles, which will include some of GCP’s bestselling franchise authors.
- Publicizing approximately 12 – 14 books per year for the Grand Central Publishing imprint. This includes executing all aspects of a publicity campaign, including managing author tours, booking national and local media, overseeing travel arrangements, and producing events.
- Managing some of GCP’s bestselling franchise authors.
- For non-fiction, handling key campaigns across the GCP list including some sports and business related titles.
- Developing and maintaining close working relationships with members of the press (broadcast, radio, print, online, trades, etc.) and seeking out new media outlets, and brainstorming creative ideas on how to best publicize titles.
- Working closely with authors on all aspects of publicity, including briefing authors for interviews and accompanying authors to publicity engagements.
- Strategizing media lists, creating press materials (full press kits, press releases, pitch & galley letters, author Q&A’s, etc.), and pitching media.
- Collaborating with key in-house departments, including Marketing, Sales, Editorial, and Subsidiary Rights.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with booksellers around the country, as well as off-site and lecture event venues.
- Mentor and develop junior staff within the publicity department, including one shared publicity assistant.
- Planning and executing author appearances and details for BEA/BookCon, Regional Trade Shows, author pre-sell events and tours.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of book publicity experience
- Strong knowledge of national and regional media (electronic and print), with strong established relationships with key media bookers.
- Expertise in bestselling fiction media campaigns as well as experience with sports and business media a plus (although not required).
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the media, marketplace and competition
- Established relationships with bookstores and some large lecture venues
- Ability to escort authors as needed, including the ability to travel domestically with authors when needed.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Familiarity with Cision, Net Galley, Muck Rack and Edelweiss
About Hachette Book Group:
Hachette Book Group (HBG) is a leading US trade publisher and a division of the third largest trade and educational book publisher in the world, Hachette Livre. A global publishing company based in France, Hachette Livre is a subsidiary of the French media company, Lagardère. HBG is headquartered in New York, with offices in Boston, MA; Lebanon, IN; Nashville, TN; Boulder, CO; Philadelphia, PA; and Berkeley, CA. HBG also owns Hachette Book Group Canada, Inc., a marketing and publicity company based in Toronto, ON.
In one year, HBG publishes approximately 1,400+ adult books (including 50-100 digital-only titles), 300 books for young readers, and 450 audiobook titles (including both physical and downloadable-only titles). In 2017, the company had 167 books on the New York Times bestseller list, 34 of which reached #1.