175 5th Ave, New York, NY, United States, 10010
Macmillan is seeking a skilled and dynamic Sales Agent to conduct and direct sales for its Speakers Bureau, which represents many prominent authors and experts. Responsibilities include cultivation and development of long-term client relationships; fierce advocacy for bureau’s speakers and authors; and collaboration with team members on operational functions.
The ideal candidate should have strong sales, negotiation and communication skills. A background in working with speaking talent, event planning, publicity, or trade publishing is preferred. The individual should possess a natural ability to develop and deliver pitches; and embrace the challenges of cold calling in an effort to close bookings.
• Negotiate and book paid speaking engagements, including proofing contracts, facilitating conference calls, and generating customized itineraries
• Cultivate and manage key client relationships while developing relationships with speakers and in house departments
• Collaborate with the MSB team to initiate and manage outreach marketing campaigns
• Regularly seek new venues and contacts to build client list
• Oversees department social media accounts and campaigns on venues such as Twitter and Facebook and updates the MSB website
• Hires and manages the department intern
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Successful track record in sales, account management, or publicity
• A proven ability to generate creative angles and pitches
• Well-developed interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
• Ability to interact with clients from various industries
• Strong communicator with excellent writing skills
• Exceptionally strong phone and presentation skills
• Highly organized and detail-oriented multi-tasker who can seamlessly manage multiple campaigns
• Minimum of three years in sales, publicity, marketing, or speakers bureau agency
• Experience working with customer relationship management databases with knowledge of salesforce or exact target a plus
• Knowledge of Google for Work, Word, Excel, and WordPress platforms
• Basic knowledge of HTML a plus
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC.