1517 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC, United States, 20012
Kramerbooks, a busy and vibrant bookstore in downtown Washington, DC, is seeking an Assistant Book Buyer. This is the perfect opportunity for a highly organized and detail-oriented book lover with a creative side. This position is full-time (approx. 40 hours/week) and salaried, with health and vacation benefits. We are looking for someone smart, motivated, flexible, focused and careful!
In this role, which works closely with our Lead Buyer, you'll be focused on:
- daily inventory replenishment and ordering from publishers and wholesalers, associated administrative tasks and follow-up
- event book ordering and necessary follow-up
- children’s frontlist buying, administrative support for adult frontlist buying
- day-to-day management of B2B ordering
- other administrative duties as needed (e.g., account set-up, assistance with co-op promotions, sales reporting)
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- broad and deep knowledge of books across genres and topics, including key authors and titles from large, small and university publishers
- bookstore experience (required)
- exceptional attention to detail during sometimes-repetitive tasks
- a pleasant, professional demeanor; desire and ability to represent the store in the best possible light to key stakeholders (publisher representatives, B2B clients)
- knowledge of and experience with IBID (bookstore software) - a big plus
- strong Excel skills
Founded in 1976 by Bill Kramer and David Tenney, Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe became the first independent bookstore with a cafe in the United States. In 2016, serial entrepreneur Steve Salis assumed ownership of the business with a focus on strengthening the brand and ensuring its place as a cultural icon in DC.