Marketing and Events Assistant
250 Third Ave N, Ste 600, Minneapolis, MN, United States, 55401
Compensation includes paid time off; health, dental, and life insurance, as well as short-term and long-term disability insurance; and a transit pass. Graywolf employees are eligible for retirement benefits after one year of service. This is a full-time, nonexempt position.
- Work in collaboration with Director of Marketing and Engagement to plan one to three author tours per season.
- Work with authors to plan touring cities and event schedule
- Pitch event coordinators to host authors at their bookstores, event venues, and reading series, and respond to incoming event invitations
- Propose pairings for author events
- Pitch authors for participation in literary festivals as assigned
- Assist with logistics for author events booked by others on the team.
- Ensure event details are listed appropriately internally and online
- Send photos, press materials, and review copies to event coordinators
- Follow up with event coordinators to confirm book orders
- Order catering
- Manage author travel arrangements
- Assist with conference, trade show, and literary festival preparations, including ordering stock, gathering supplies, creating signage, and overseeing shipments.
Marketing and Publicity Support
- Maintain publicity data in Graywolf’s Title Management database, to include review coverage, quotes, and contact records.
- Maintain author photo and cover image files, both on Graywolf’s internal server and on the Graywolf website.
- Ensure author biographies are updated on the Graywolf website.
- Design promotional items as needed, to include tour graphics, pre-order announcements, and other promotional materials.
- Answer the main phone line and manage correspondence to Graywolf’s general email address.
- Serve as backup to administrative assistant on reception and greeting visitors.
- Handle all outgoing mail and packages; supervise interns working in mailroom.
- Prepare staff meeting agendas.
Required Education, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Interest in contemporary literature and event programming.
- A commitment to increasing diversity in and access to literature.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize work.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and flexibly with our staff of sixteen and as part of a team.
- Previous experience with data entry, databases, and manipulating complex information.
- High level of comfort with Mac OS and Microsoft Office suite and other basic office technology.
- A professional and friendly attitude.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Graphic design experience with Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign.
- Previous event programming experience at a bookstore, reading series, college, or publisher.
- Previous experience in an office environment.
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes.
- Must be able to carry and lift boxes of books and other materials.
Please send a cover letter addressed to Leslie Johnson, Managing Director, and resume as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing and Events Assistant 2019.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Graywolf Press is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
About Graywolf Press:
Graywolf Press is a nonprofit publisher of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and work in translation whose aim is to foster new thinking about what it means to live in the world today. We publish thirty to thirty-five books each year. Our sixteen-person staff is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.