Publicist, Children's Publishing
680 Second St., San Francisco, CA, United States, 94107
Chronicle Books has an exciting opportunity for a Children’s Publicist to help us publicize and promote our award-winning children’s list. Based in either our San Francisco or New York office, this role will work with both frontlist and backlist titles to promote Chronicle Books’ publishing and brand in the minds of consumers and members of the media. The Publicist will partner with the Children’s Marketing team to create cohesive campaigns for our titles, marketing and publicity plans for our Children’s category, and all digital product launches with the goal of driving sales, increasing visibility, and making Chronicle Books a marketing leader in Children’s publishing. The Publicist will work closely and effectively with the Children’s publishing group to develop the list, communicate sales information, and provide publicity expertise throughout the publication process. Key to success will be creating a publicity strategy and plans that are executable, represent an astute use of resources and a good return on investment, and build sales.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Produce press materials, complete mailings, sell serial / excerpt rights, plan and attend publication parties, and work for reviews, mentions and author interviews in print, broadcast and online media.
- Arrange author appearances locally and throughout the country, touring authors sometimes to numerous cities inside of a few weeks and booking flights, hotels, and media escorts as well as media interviews and appearances.
- Make contact with and develop relationships with review media (print, broadcast and online), as well as with those throughout the country who run bookstore and non-bookstore related lecture programs who would host our authors.
- Attend and participate in acquisition and publishing group meetings for Children’s titles and team meetings
- Aid the company in finding titles that would garner good and strong media attention, while being knowledgeable about the Children’s list of our competitors and their performance in the marketplace.
- Monitor the sales of our Children’s titles (both frontlist and backlist), noting which titles are working or not working, and work closely with the marketing manager and sales department to encourage sales in all appropriate market channels.
- Publicize all non-book and digital Children’s product (in conjunction with the online marketing manager)
- Utilize and engage social media as part of our publicity/marketing campaigns
The Children’s publicist will communicate regularly and effectively with authors, members of the media, sales representatives, booksellers, members of the Chronicle Books sales and marketing departments and the company at large, and especially with the Director of Children’s Marketing and Executive Director of Marketing.
The Children’s publicist will periodically act as liaison with outside freelance publicists and/or publicity departments; provide support at publication parties, author signings, readings, appearances, and author interviews; and conduct research.
Candidates should have at least 5 years’ prior publishing and/or public relations experience with national media contacts and a proven ability to work in a fast-paced business environment. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong public speaking skills, are essential. A track record of successfully implementing publicity programs is a must-have. Successful candidates will have a comprehensive understanding of the publishing industry and a thorough understanding of how publicity works. We are looking for highly motivated and creative publicists who possess outstanding analytical skills which are utilized to understand the Chronicle Books’ and competitors' strategies and products. Collaboration is a core value, so candidates need to work independently and in teams.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Publicist” in the subject line.
About Chronicle Books LLC:
Chronicle Books was founded in 1967 and continues to be one of the most admired and respected publishing companies in the United States. Over the years, we have developed a reputation for award-winning, innovative books and gift products. Our independent company continues to challenge conventional publishing wisdom, setting trends in both subject and format across a list that is as diverse as it is distinctive. We value collaboration and creativity, we have a passion for design and quality, and we insist on surprising and delighting our readers. To succeed in our work, we seek and hire people who are committed to the open exchange of ideas and who help us cultivate an atmosphere of mutual accountability and trust.
Our mission says it best:
Inspired by the enduring magic of books, we cultivate and distribute exceptional publishing that is instantly recognizable for its spirit and creativity. Our collaborations spark the passions of adults and children worldwide, encouraging them to explore, connect, and see things differently.