General Manager - Independent Bookstore
1517 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC, United States, 20036
Kramerbooks is a vibrant, iconic independent bookstore in the heart of Dupont Circle. For more than 40 years, Kramers has provided locals and visitors to DC with a carefully curated selection of books and sidelines. We’re looking for an experienced General Manager to lead the bookstore team and support our future growth plans.
In particular, we’re looking for the following attributes:
• 2-3 years of experience as General Manager of a bookstore is required
• A broad knowledge of books, with deeper knowledge in at least 1-2 genres
• Advanced knowledge and experience with inventory management including receiving and returns, and experience training others in inventory management
• High levels of proactivity and problem-solving
• Display management, merchandising and book placement experience
• Skilled at training, motivating and developing team members
• Comfortable with high levels of delegation and follow-up
• Knowledge of sideline buying and placement
• Comfortable using data to drive decision-making
• Experience and/or familiarity with book buying would be great, but not essential.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Strong knowledge of IBID
• Ability to develop and maintain loss prevention
• Skilled in budget preparation and fiscal management
• Position requires: a) independent oversight of all day-to-day bookstore operations, to include customer service, in-store merchandising and stock management, and cash management; b) coordination of purchasing, receiving, inventory management, shipping, and returns for the store; c) preparation and coordination of store budgets, invoicing, and accounts payable; d) participation the development of operating policies and procedures for the store; e) full day-to-day supervision of four or more lower level staff engaged in bookstore activities.
In return we offer:
• The opportunity to be part of some very exciting plans for the bookstore
• Significant opportunities for growth and advancement
• Competitive salary
• A generous and expanding benefits package including paid time off, paid holidays, 401k, generous contributions towards medical, dental and vision insurance, 100% employer-paid life and long-term disability insurance
Kramerbooks is an equal opportunity employer.
Kramerbooks is a vibrant, iconic independent bookstore in the heart of Dupont Circle. For more than 40 years, Kramers has provided locals and visitors to DC with a carefully curated selection of books and sidelines.