Editorial Assistant, Countryman Press
500 Fifth Avenue 5th Floor, New York, NY, United States, 10110
The Countryman Press seeks an Editorial Assistant, reporting to the director, to work at its New York headquarters. The right candidate is expected to bring strong writing and editing skills to the position, but also be a creative self-starter, with a sharp mind and a sense of humor. You’ll stand out if you have a particular passion or hobby, as this could lend itself to developing book ideas. Countryman is a small, fast-moving team so there is opportunity to learn about all aspects of publishing.
Countryman Press (an imprint of W.W. Norton) publishes books in the categories of cooking, illustrated lifestyle, home and garden, DIY, self-help, travel, and more. W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Write copy for catalogs, book flaps, sales materials and more.
- Read and evaluate proposals on submission.
- Prepare manuscripts for copyediting and production.
- Work with authors and other departments to produce and sell books.
- Handle administrative duties including processing invoices, generating reports, and entering and maintaining accuracy of data on multiple web-based systems.
- Fearlessly generate ideas and actively participate in meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent writing skills; editing skills a plus
- Experience and/or interest in design also a plus, as many of the books are illustrated.
- Knowledge and interest in current trends
- Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment
- Interest in cooking and healthy living a plus
- Must be able to work full business hours in our NYC location
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
About W.W. Norton & Company:
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital supplements that support teaching and learning.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.