Production Associate, Artisan Books
225 Varick Street, New York, NY, United States, 10014
Artisan Books is seeking a production associate to contribute to its diverse list of illustrated titles. The position is ideal for a motivated and organized self-starter with 1–3 years of experience in book production. Working closely with the production director, the production associate will help track all aspects of book production—including printing, scheduling, estimating, color-correcting, and coordinating with vendors. Specifically, the production associate will:
- Report to the production director and also work closely with the design department to make sure interdepartmental (design/production) materials flow correctly and to perform production-related design tasks
- Perform supportive duties, including photocopying of passes and mechanicals when necessary, printing out PDFs that come from the printer, labeling dummies, distributing proofs, creating shipping labels, and handling all shipping details
- Help with estimates of new titles, revising when specs change and getting comparison bids
- Handle the Artisan reprints: purchase orders, file creation, estimates, schedules, correction/proof follow-up; color-checking advance copies, following up with freight forwarders and updating internal status reports
- Work with design department to upload and download files to prepress and printers
- Work with the design department to mark up requests for retouching
- Serve as the point person for all the needs of the international and digital departments, creating sets of files and PDFs
This position will also oversee some duties in the design department, including preparing mechanicals for production, inputting text corrections for books and ancillary materials (catalog, bound galleys, and BLADs), and trafficking covers and jackets.
Candidates should be familiar with all aspects of the bookmaking process and be proficient in Excel as well as InDesign, Photoshop, and Creative Suite and must have strong organizational and time-management skills. Please send cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We apologize in advance, but not all applicants will receive a response from us.
About Workman Publishing Co.:
Workman Publishing, an independent publisher of award-winning cookbooks, children’s books, parenting/pregnancy guides, as well as high-end gift books, fiction, gardening, humor, country living, and calendars. Our West Village office is high-energy and creative, staffed by people who love interesting books.