Sales & Marketing Director
4720 Walnut St, Boulder, CO, United States, 80301
Due to an internal promotion, Shambhala Publications is announcing an opening for the position of Sales & Marketing Director.
The Sales & Marketing Director is a leadership role which guides and supervises a team of six Marketing & Publicity staff. This person serves as an important advisor on all aspects of our publishing program, including acquisitions, design, market positioning, author relations, sales, and promotional campaigns.
The Sales & Marketing Director will report to the Publisher, and will be trained by the person formerly in the position.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills, qualities, and values:
- You are an empathetic listener: You can relate to multiple points of view and make people feel heard and valued. You welcome transparency and candid feedback.
- You are a skilled communicator: You present yourself clearly and professionally in any form required. You have strong writing skills, are comfortable connecting with people via video conference, on the phone, or in public presentations. You can diplomatically and persuasively present your point of view, without being attached to always being right. You have a sense of humor.
- You have a curious mind: You are someone who loves to read, is continually learning, and can show some level of interest and appreciation for the categories of books we publish.
- You have an open mind: You are game to try doing something you’ve never done before, taking occasional risks, and being willing to sometimes fail for the sake of learning.
- You have a passion for process: You have insight into how things could work more efficiently and smoothly and are willing to collaborate with anyone in order to facilitate those changes. You’re a dedicated problem-solver.
- You are a natural and practiced leader: People look up to you. You have managed a team, a direct report, or have formally or informally mentored someone. You value relationships and authentic connection.
- You have worked for or desire to work for a mission-driven company: You care about our publishing program and feel personally invested in the benefit our books bring to people’s lives.
- You make data-driven decisions: You have a head for analysis, can spot patterns and trends, love setting and hitting goals, and aren’t afraid of numbers.
- You are comfortable with change: You know that in order for businesses to stay viable, they must constantly evolve. You’re eager to lead and navigate through the constant flux.
- Manage the marketing & publicity department, overseeing strategy and implementation of individual book campaigns, overall company branding efforts, including direct to consumer and trade outreach.
- Attend editorial, cover design, and marketing meetings.
- Serve as a liaison with our distributor, Penguin Random House, ensuring that our sales reps have everything they need to properly position and sell our titles.
- Oversee inventory flow and management, including monitoring demand, initiating reprints, and coordinating remainder sales.
- Travel 3-5 times per year for sales presentations, media visits, book festivals, trade shows, etc.
- Regularly report on sales performance, industry trends, and sales rep feedback.
- Brainstorm new ways to repurpose our backlist content into reissues and/or new content forms
Strongly preferred (but not required) skills and experience include:
- 5-7 years in a bookselling or book publishing role, or in a PR, branding, sales or marketing capacity for a mission-driven company
- Familiarity with email newsletter marketing (Bronto), e-commerce (Magento), Wordpress, Facebook and Instagram advertising, Amazon advertising, content marketing, SEO, and project management tools (Basecamp)
- Adept at Office365, Sharepoint, and Excel
This position will be based on our Boulder, Colorado office. Remote candidates will not be considered; relocation assistance can be provided for a qualified candidate. We gladly encourage candidates of all ages, race, ethnicity, education levels, gender identity, sexual orientation and ability to apply.
Shambhala Publications has been a family-owned book publisher since 1969, and is the leading small publisher of books on Buddhism, Religion & Philosophy, Mindfulness & Meditation, Psychology, Health and more. We offer generous benefits including 401k match, health care including dental and vision, summer hours, and free yoga and meditation classes in our office. Compensation and title commensurate with experience.
Please send your cover letter and resume to KJ Grow, Publisher: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.