768 Boston Post Road, Madison, CT, United States, 06443
The Book Festival Director is responsible for the entirety of the festival’s operations. This is a prominent, yet hands-on, position. We are seeking a detail-oriented individual with outstanding planning and operational management skills, strong written communication skills, and the willingness and ability to work effectively with volunteers, sponsors/donors, advisors, and the community.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrated ability for budgeting and financial control; great leadership and negotiating skills, and previous experience with event planning; specifically, festival planning.
- Assist with the recruitment of local, national, and international authors to appear at the festival, under the supervision of RJ Julia Booksellers. Our goal is to attract bestselling authors of diverse backgrounds, while carefully considering the needs and interests of the local community.
- Establish beneficial and significant relationships with sponsors, vendors, exhibitors, literary organizations, volunteers, and other partners throughout the community.
- Plan and manage all logistics of the festival including author talks and book signings; educational programming; exhibitor fair; unique and engaging performances and activities; and more.
- Play a key role in the creation and distribution of sponsorship and marketing materials.
- Establish and manage all procedures for budgeting; document revenue and expenses.
- Support marketing efforts including the development and review of all festival marketing materials.
- 5+ years experience planning, organizing, and producing large-scale events, preferably a literary festival.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong collaboration instincts and leadership abilities.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including public speaking. The Director may at times serve as the primary spokesperson for the festival.
- A passion for literature, books, education and community building.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter which describes your relevant experience and copy of your resume.
About RJ Julia Booksellers:
Located in the shoreline town of Madison, Connecticut, RJ Julia Booksellers has always been a place of inspiration, information, and excitement.
RJ Julia opened 29 years ago as an independent bookstore whose mission was, and is, to be a place where words matter, where writer meets reader, where the ambiance and selection and merchandising of books creates an atmosphere that is welcoming and presents the opportunity for discovery. Ultimately we are fiercely committed to putting the right book in the right hand.
We are extremely proud of having won several major awards nationally, statewide and locally, including in part: Publishers Weekly Bookseller of the Year, Lucile Pannell award for bookselling excellence, Connecticut Magazine Best Bookstore, Connecticut Retailers Award for Community Commitment, the Advocate's Best Bookstore and the New Haven Business Small Business Award.
We host over 300 events each year. Authors from all over the country — some even from overseas — visit the store to inspire, educate, and entertain us.
In addition to our events schedule, we pride ourselves on having a knowledgeable staff, opinionated book selections (look for those little white "shelf-talker" tags), and a consuming passion for reading. You can be sure that when you pick up any book at our store, it is one that we have hand-selected with specific reading audiences in mind.
RJ Julia Booksellers continues to evolve with our customers. Here on our website, you can browse our hand-picked recommendations, learn about our upcoming events, purchase your favorite picks, and ask questions or make suggestions — anytime, anywhere.