Marketing & Publicity Manager
6 West 18th Street, Suite 2C, New York, NY, United States, 10011
The Monacelli Press is seeking a highly motivated and creative Marketing & Publicity Manager to market, publicize, and promote our critically acclaimed list through traditional and new media strategies.
The Marketing & Publicity Manager will serve as point of contact throughout the sales cycle with Penguin Random House, our distributor, which includes communicating title priorities, working with trade sales, special markets, academic markets, and international departments, and coordinating deliveries from the warehouse.
The Marketing & Publicity Manager will be responsible for preparing presentations and materials for sales meetings, producing collateral materials for events and booksellers, and continuing to develop our online marketing presence through content marketing, newsletters, email campaigns, social media, and creative online outreach.
This person will work closely with editors to implement successful marketing and publicity campaigns while developing and strengthening media and author relationships in addition to driving sales.
The Marketing & Publicity Manager will be responsible for executing all aspects of a publicity campaign, developing and maintaining close working relationships with members of the press (broadcast, radio, print, online, trades, etc.), and seeking out new media outlets.
Conduct market research, customer/audience identification, analysis, and direct-to-consumer outreach.
• Develops and executes strategic marketing and publicity plans on a full list of books, working closely with editors and authors;
• Collaborates closely with sales team in support of each book;
• Writes press releases, catalog copy, web copy, press kits, and pitch letters;
• Sends out review mailings and fulfills art requests from media;
• Works closely with authors on all aspects of publicity, including briefing authors for interviews;
• Researches and seeks out new media outlets and pursues online publicity and marketing opportunities;
• Develops and maintains relationships with bookseller contacts;
• Represents the company at trade shows and at meetings and conferences with booksellers, media, librarians, educators, and consumers;
• Sets up bookselling appearances for authors with booksellers and other entities.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and five to seven years experience in book publishing publicity and marketing;
• Strong knowledge of national and regional media (electronic and print);
• Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, good judgment, ability to balance multiple projects, sense of humor;
• Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently;
• Knowledge of the media, marketplace, and competition;
• Strong understanding of SEO, social media, and direct-to-consumer marketing;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), graphics programs (InDesign, Photoshop), Cision, Wordpress, and Edelweiss.
Interest and/or experience in the visual arts preferred.
The Monacelli Press, a division of Phaidon Press, is a leading publisher of illustrated books on architecture, fine arts, interior design, landscape and gardens, photography, graphic design, and applied arts. More information can be found at monacellipress.com.