133 SW Second Ave., Suite 450, Portland, OR, United States, 97204
To develop and implement creative and effective publicity campaigns for Timber Press books that generate strong media exposure and increase sales. The Publicist will be as liaison for authors and media professionals, maintaining braind integrity and promoting our mission. The Publicist will promote frontlist and backlist titles and work collaboratively with the Marketing department on cross-channel marketing opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, implement, and track the publicity campaigns for 6-8 frontlist titles per season
- Plan author events for select frontlist titles: book events and coordinate author travel, plan local media outreach, coordinate with Sales for book orders
- Write press releases and other press copy for frontlist titles and promotions
- Track, record, and report publicity hits
- Develop strong and consistent communication with authors to support their promotional efforts
- Develop and maintain relationships with national and local media contacts
- Collaborate with the full marketing department on creative strategies for book and author promotions
- Support Timber’s presence at trade shows, conferences, and author events as needed
- Assist department with media mailings and other administrative duties as needed
- Assist with publicity in box management
- 2 years’ experience in publicity
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, PR software, and digital platforms (including social media channels)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize work load essential
Timber Press is an equal opportunity employer. Timber Press makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Timber Press policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, income, political opinion, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic characteristics or information, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and not tolerated by Timber Press.
About Timber Press:
Timber Press is dedicated to sharing the wonders of the natural world by publishing books from experts in the fields of gardening, horticulture, and natural history.
Founded in 1978, Timber Press is internationally recognized as the leading gardening publisher. Its books and authors have received awards from the American Horticultural Society, the Garden Writers of America, the Garden Media Guild, and the National Garden Club of America. Some of Timber’s bestselling classics include Michael Dirr’s Encyclopedia of Trees and Shrubs, Bringing Nature Home by Douglas Tallamy, Tracy DiSabato-Aust’s The Well-Tended Perennial Garden, Marta McDowell’s Beatrix Potter’s Gardening Life, and A Way to Garden by Margaret Roach.
Timber Press joined the Workman family in 2006. The Timber office is located in Portland, Oregon, a city filled with natural wonders.