Publicist or Senior Publicist, Algonquin Books
225 Varick Street, New York, NY, United States, 10014
Algonquin Books and Algonquin Young Readers is seeking a highly organized, creative, self-motivated, and enthusiastic person to join our publicity team in our New York office as Publicist or Senior Publicist. This position offers the opportunity to work on our award-winning and highly curated list of fiction and non-fiction, adult, young adult, and middle grade titles. We publish twenty adult and twelve children’s front list titles and associated paperback reprints per year. Our authors include Julia Alvarez, Michael Ian Black, Amy Timberlake, Samantha Mabry, Ross Gay, Jaquira Diaz, Richard Louv, Kelly Barnhill, Lisa Ko, William Ritter, Nova Ren Suma, Tracey Baptiste, among many others.
- Works on planning and executing all author appearances including multi-city book tours, local appearances, and special events
- Secures national and local media, including broadcast, print, and online outlets, developing proper angles and pitches
- Actively cultivates and maintains media contacts
- Arranges travel for assigned authors and creates tour schedules
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Writes press releases, pitch letters, and other promotional materials relating to a campaign
- Briefs authors on media interviews, develops media contacts, and accompanies authors on interviews
- Communicates effectively with the publicity team as well as authors, editors, the marketing & sales team, and agents
- Executes bloc / bookstagrammer tours
- Knowledge of the children’s book marketplace a major plus
- Minimum 4 years of publicity experience required
- Proven ability to generate creative angles and pitches
- Proven track record in securing media
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under deadlines
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative team environment
- Excellent communication skills, including exceptional writing skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- A college degree or equivalent experience
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We apologize in advance, but not all applicants will receive a response.
About Workman Publishing Co.:
Workman Publishing, an independent publisher of award-winning cookbooks, children’s books, parenting/pregnancy guides, as well as high-end gift books, fiction, gardening, humor, country living, and calendars. Our West Village office is high-energy and creative, staffed by people who love interesting books.