Marketing and Publicity Assistant
120 Wall St, 31st Fl, New York, NY, United States, 10005
Title: Marketing and Publicity Assistant
Reports to: Associate Publisher
Position type: Full Time/Non-Exempt
The New Press seeks a Marketing and Publicity Assistant to join our team, working remotely until we return to our offices in Lower Manhattan sometime in early 2021. The person in this position provides crucial assistance in the day-to-day workings of the marketing department and will have the chance to work directly with authors on our distinguished and groundbreaking list of books. The Marketing and Publicity Assistant will support the Associate Publisher and the Publicity Manager and Publicist, and will also work with the Director of Sales and Subsidiary Rights to maximize promotional opportunities.
• Support title-specific and backlist-specific marketing and promotional campaigns
• Perform online research for new media trends and contacts, and coordinate and contribute to the New Press’s audience platforms, which include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, newsletter and website
• Maintain New Press publicity and marketing platforms such as Netgalley and Goodreads
• Assist publishing/editorial/sales with metadata manipulation and clean-up
• Assist the associate publisher with consumer and trade advertising
• Assist monitoring and reporting on sales and metrics associated with marketing promotions
• Help maintain the front- and backlist library rooms
• Monitor book awards and complete monthly submissions upon approval
• Write press materials, including press releases, pitch and galley letters, interview alerts, quote sheets, etc.
• Assist in the creation of press lists and execute galley, review copy, tour, and promotional giveaway mailings as needed
• Assist the publicity team in pitching press interviews and reviews for authors and their books
• Coordinate travel and other arrangements for author tours, and create detailed tour schedules for campaigns as needed
• Attend events, selling books and creating materials when needed
• Assist in monitoring daily clips, keeping publicity updates and events listings current, and preparing clips packet for management team
• Disseminate marketing and author meeting agendas; prepare minutes for all meetings as needed
• Provide general administrative support, including photocopying, processing invoices, filing, billings, budget and expense reports, organizing the mailing area, etc.
• Assist in compiling reports for dissemination to the Board of Directors
• Assist in the supervision and support of the Marketing and Publicity intern
Required Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have:
• Admin assistant experience, preferably in either a job or an internship with publishing and/or marketing emphasis
• Candidates should be highly literate, exceptionally well organized, detail oriented, creative, able to juggle multiple projects and priorities, have initiative, able to trouble shoot and solve problems, and respond well to working under the pressure of deadlines
• They should also have the ability to work both independently as well as with a team, and have a love of publishing and an interest in The New Press list and mission. Knowledge of progressive media and the current political landscape is a plus
• Strong knowledge of major social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and marketing/publicity/website software (Cision, Photoshop, Canva, Drupal and/or basic HTML) required
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Must have excellent oral and written skills, and excellent references
How to Apply
Please email your resume, a thoughtful cover letter, and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your name and reference the title of the position in the subject line. A writing sample will be required for candidates invited to interview. Submissions without thoughtful cover letters will not be considered.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
The New Press is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The New Press is affiliated with the Technical, Office and Professional (TOP) Union, Local 2110 UAW, AFL-CIO. This is a union position.
No phone calls, please.
About The New Press: