Marketing Communications Manager
210 MASS MoCA Way, North Adams, MA, United States, 01247
Marketing Communications Manager
Storey Publishing, a dynamic nonfiction publisher located in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts, is seeking an experienced marketing professional. The person in this role will curate and shape Storey’s public voice for marketing and publicity, help develop a comprehensive digital strategy for connecting with our readers, and communicate clear and distinctive positioning for each book and for the company’s publishing program and corporate identity.
The Marketing Communications Manager is the key copywriter and content editor for all marketing materials, including website, consumer newsletter, catalogs, advertising, tipsheets and related sales materials, and press releases. With expertise in content and channel optimization, brand consistency, analytics, and measurement, this position works in partnership with public relations and marketing staff to envision and implement creative, informed strategies for boosting the reach and sales effectiveness of Storey’s marketing.
- Partner with publicity and marketing team to drive discoverability and effectively market Storey titles.
- Map out a content strategy that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term, determining which methods work for the brand and why. Ability to respond quickly to market changes and continuously refine an evolving strategy is a must.
- Consult and offer guidance on Storey’s content and strategies for all digital outreach.
- Write marketing copy for tipsheets and catalog for frontlist books, working in collaboration with the Publisher, Associate Publisher, and editors.
- Write consumer-focused book descriptions for Firebrand database, drawing on SEO and keyword best practices.
- Write copy for sales and marketing pieces, including BLADS, sell sheets, and A+ pages.
- Write copy for downloadable components for website, including activity kits.
- Edit and proofread marketing materials, press releases, and other promotional copy including website landing pages and sweepstake pages.
- Oversee and manage the copywriting process for back covers and Other Storey Title pages of all books. Write back cover copy for selected titles.
- Ensure all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality, and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, point of purchase, mobile, video, print, and in-person.
- Manage market data analysis and evaluation. Conduct ongoing tests to gauge content effectiveness. Gather data, analyze and make recommendations based on those results.
- Develop content strategy and a content calendar for Storey website and newsletters. Create and ensure a robust program of online feature articles and newsletters including the monthly Fresh Picks ebook promotion. Write, edit, and produce content; be the arbiter of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
- Work with in-house team to envision, script, and shape video content for digital promotions.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- B.A. or B.S. in Marketing, Journalism or relevant field
- Experience with consumer marketing and copywriting
- Proficient in Google analytics, keywords, and SEO
- Experience with common web content management systems like WordPress
- A comfortable working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and SCSS
- Passion for digital marketing in the DIY topics including crafting, cooking, gardening, and homesteading
- Experience working in a highly collaborative setting; a collaborative mindset and ability to work with multiple departments
- Excellent organizational skills, both personal organization and the organization of information
- Active involvement with a wide range of online DIY communities and creative ideas for engaging with these communities on Storey’s behalf
- Knowledge of book publishing industry a plus
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this position and for Storey. The email should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. We apologize in advance but not all applicants will receive a response.
Storey Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. All are welcome, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic that makes you unique. Our focus is to create a diverse and supportive environment. We encourage BIPOC, LGBTQ and other self-identifying members of groups underrepresented in publishing to apply.
Due to COVID, staff is working remotely through the end of 2020.
About Storey Publishing:
Guided by a mission to provide practical information that encourages personal independence in harmony with the environment, Storey books teach and encourage readers of all ages to enrich their lives through hands-on activities and experiences.
The company’s roots date back to 1983, when founders John and Martha Storey bought the publishing arm of Garden Way, a business long known for its rototillers and garden carts. What began as Storey Communications grew into Storey Publishing, which has become a trusted authority for books on gardening, home reference, crafts, cooking, beer and wine, nature, animals, horses, building, farming, homesteading, and mind/body/spirit.
Storey joined the Workman Publishing family in 2000. Storey’s offices are located on the campus of the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA) in North Adams, nestled in the beautiful Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts.