500 Fifth Ave, New York, NY, United States, 10110
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a Senior Editor for its Trade Editorial Department. This Senior Editor will be responsible for acquiring titles in trade science, mathematics, and economics.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Acquiring 12-15 titles per year
- All editorial aspects of book development, including manuscript development and editing; copywriting, including jacket, catalog, and other marketing copy as required; liaising with art and production departments as needed
- Maintaining publishing and production schedules and meeting deadlines
- Presenting titles at sales meetings and elsewhere as needed
- Developing and maintaining relationships with licensors, authors, and agents
- Serving as the primary contact for the author throughout the process
This job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US
- Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s New York City headquarters. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are temporarily providing employees the option to work remotely
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Must be creative, proactive, flexible, and adaptable
- Must have the ability to work well with editorial colleagues in addition to sales, publicity, marketing, art, and production departments
- Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects
- Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and with minimal mistakes
- Mastery of email and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel
- Proficiency in a foreign language, e.g. French, German, etc., is a plus
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.
About W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.: