Special Sales Coordinator
225 Varick Street, New York, NY, United States, 10014
Workman Publishing—an independent publisher of award-winning cookbooks, fun and educational children’s books, and high-end lifestyle books, as well as parenting/pregnancy guides, gardening and country living reference titles, literary fiction, and more—is seeking an energetic, proactive, and creative Special Sales Coordinator. The position is remote for now and then will be based in our NYC office when it fully reopens.
In the Special Sales department, our goal is to seek out niche sales opportunities beyond the world of traditional bookstore and retail sales. Our business includes everything from promotional and non-profit giveaways to corporate gifts, specialty retail and more, so we are seeking a curious, out-of-the-box thinker who can act as a matchmaker and help connect our books with new, untapped markets.
The Coordinator will oversee outreach for key brands across many of our imprints, while also leading the charge in new business brainstorming and outreach for individual front- and backlist titles with the goal of opening new accounts for each new title that we publish.
The ideal candidate should feel comfortable with some post-pandemic travel and they should feel excited to build relationships with customers not only by phone and email, but in person, as well.
What You’ll Bring to the Job:
- A love of books, plus a particular interest in exploring new, non-traditional ways of selling them.
- Curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit, as the heart of this role is generating new business (often opening accounts and working with individuals who have never ordered a book before) inspired by the books themselves.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, as this job requires a lot of creative pitch writing, as well as direct sales pitching to customers by phone, virtual meetings, and email, and eventually, attending in-person sales calls and exhibiting at conferences.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills; we publish hundreds of books a year and strive to create innovative, thorough outreach campaigns for as many as we can.
What You’ll Do and Learn:
- Brainstorm and execute title-specific outreach for frontlist titles, including researching new markets, building mailing lists, and writing pitch letters and copy for sales materials (sell sheets, brochures, etc.).
- Support backlist sales through regular outreach to active accounts, with a special focus on key brands, including What to Expect, Brain Quest, and more.
- Act as our department’s primary liaison with the promotions department, creating sell sheets, brochures, PowerPoints, and other sales and marketing assets.
- Maintain customer relationships and upsell active accounts, ensuring that samples of new titles are pitched to relevant accounts.
- Collaborate with editorial, sales and marketing teams, as well as key authors to provide book sales support for author events and other partnerships.
- Minimum of one year of experience in book publishing, preferably within a sales department
- Bachelor’s degree
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Workman Publishing is steadfast in its commitment to innovation, creativity, inclusion, and excellence. Our focus is to create a diverse and supportive environment, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All are welcome, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any of the other fascinating characteristics that make each of us wonderfully unique. With a role at our company, you’ll be part of an amazing team! We invite you to explore our career options below, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Please send your résumé and a cover letter to email@example.com. We apologize in advance, but not all applicants will receive a response.
About Workman Publishing Co.: