413 Main Street, Middletown, CT, United States, 06457
WESLEYAN RJ JULIA BOOKSTORE
POSITION: STORE MANAGER
We are looking for a results-driven professional to supervise all operations of Wesleyan RJ Julia Bookstore. This position is responsible for planning and managing all day-to-day operations of the bookstore while supervising staff and providing customer service to students, faculty, staff, and community members. This is a great opportunity to lead and grow a dynamic retail location in its still-early years.
Wesleyan RJ Julia Bookstore offers textbooks, course materials, and trade books, technology, school supplies, clothing, regalia, and gifts. The Store Manager must be knowledgeable of and a resource for all departments, model exceptional customer service, drive sales, and be a skillful problem solver. This position works closely with Wesleyan University colleagues, the Greater Middletown community and its leaders, and the RJ Julia Booksellers operations management team.
- Direct staff in the performance of all bookstore day-to-day operations.
- Supervise staff and cashiering functions.
- Complete or supervise all store opening and closing procedures daily.
- Hire and train employees as needed. Provide ongoing training/education opportunities for staff.
- Coordinate operational aspects which include staff scheduling, adjusting the store's physical layout, and ensuring that textbooks and merchandise are appropriately available.
- Execute merchandising standards, promotion standards, and create displays.
- Direct and assist in developing new policies and procedures.
- Prepare administrative and operational reports as required. Compile data for end-of-month reporting.
- Maintain store appearance and cleanliness.
- Prepare and complete bookstore merchandise and textbooks for physical (manual and/or automated) inventories.
- Assist customers.
- Other related duties as required.
- At least three years of college bookstore or retail management experience including personnel supervision, fundamental accounting, purchasing, and inventory control.
- Significant experience using a Point-of-Sale-system required.
- Leadership experience to direct and develop a workforce of sales associates/booksellers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills essential.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work well with the public essential.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to coordinate well with the bookstore accounting office and textbook managers.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter which describes your relevant experience and copy of your resume.
About RJ Julia Booksellers:
RJ Julia Booksellers opened over 30 years ago as an independent bookstore whose mission was, and is, to be a place where words matter, where writer meets reader, where the ambiance and selection and merchandising of books creates an atmosphere that is welcoming and presents the opportunity for discovery.
Wesleyan RJ Julia Bookstore is the official bookstore of Wesleyan University (Middletown, CT), managed by RJ Julia Booksellers. Offering textbooks/course materials and Wesleyan apparel, the bookstore also serves as the community's local indie bookstore, offering the latest bestsellers, literary classics, unique gifts, cards, journals, games, and more.