Marketing and Membership Associate
1808 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA, United States, 94702
Heyday’s Marketing & Membership Associate will support the creation of soulful books with lasting cultural importance and will play a key role in engaging and expanding our community. With a fiftieth anniversary on the horizon, our nonprofit publishing house is in an exciting period of growth, and this is a rare opportunity to join our committed staff of twelve.
About you: You are passionate about books and our areas of focus. An exuberant and imaginative professional, you excel at building community and engaging people, whether in writing (via direct mail, email, and online platforms) or in person. You are organized and self-directed. Ideally you have experience working on marketing campaigns, where your approach is innovative while at the same time data-driven and focused on conversion. You are attracted to the friendly and purpose-driven atmosphere of a nonprofit. Experience in marketing, sales, customer service, or nonprofit fundraising is preferred; experience in bookselling, publishing, graphic design, or website maintenance is a plus. You are Bay Area–based. We have flexibility about hours and in-office work, and our staff is 100% fully vaccinated.
About the position: This position is full-time and reports to the General Manager. There will be occasional weekend and evening work around events. Health, dental, and vision benefits, along with access to a 401k included. Generous holiday, comp, and PTO policies. Salary range $50,000–$55,000, depending on experience.
- Steward and grow Heyday’s new membership program
- Develop creative approaches and incentives (e.g., special events, exclusive promotions, new member levels, and partnerships with other organizations) to attract and retain members
- Create stellar content (mailings, newsletters, social media posts, ads, and blog posts) to market and promote Heyday’s brand and membership benefits
- Track the growth of the program and provide revenue reports
- Manage fulfillment logistics, billing and renewals, and communications with members
Book marketing & publicity (40%)
- Collaborate with staff, authors, and other partners to develop and execute dynamic, tailored marketing and publicity plans for select frontlist titles
- Pitch reviews and feature stories to book reviewers, podcasters, bloggers, and other influencers
- Research and create media lists with the support of a publicity database, conduct galley and other publicity mailings and follow-ups
- Develop and execute digital media advertising campaigns
- Submit award nominations for books
Website maintenance (10%)
- Create book and author pages for each season and facilitate creation of landing pages for promotional campaigns
- Update book pages with new blurbs, reviews, book trailers, and other relevant content
- Add listings to Heyday’s events calendar
Heyday is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action against discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of our activities or operations.
Heyday is an independent, nonprofit publisher founded in 1974 in Berkeley, California. Through twenty new books per year and a backlist of two hundred titles, we promote civic engagement and social justice, celebrate nature’s beauty, support California Indian cultural renewal, and explore the state’s rich history, culture, and influence.