40 W. North Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, United States, 15212
The Bookstore Manager oversees all aspects of our independent bookstore, including online sales. The Bookstore Manager will work with senior City of Asylum management and advisors to curate our book and merchandise inventory and manage bookstore P&L.
City of Asylum builds a just community by protecting and celebrating freedom of creative expression, and the Bookstore Manager will play an important role in advancing our mission.
- Independent oversight of all day-to-day operations, to include customer service, merchandising, stock management, and cash management.
- Coordination of purchasing, receiving, inventory management, shipping, and returns.
- Preparation and coordination of store budgets with Finance Manager, invoicing, and accounts payable.
- Recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, and full day-to-day supervision of staff and volunteers engaged in bookstore activities.
- Management of front of house reception.
- Assuring that inventory and operation meet COAP mission-related goals for broad representation of translations by genre and country, books by local authors, books and merchandise related to programming and mission and new opportunities.
- Creating a friendly environment for volunteers (back office and floor) and customers, building customer relationships (individuals and institutional).
- Representing the bookstore at various community and/or business meetings.
- Maintain Information Systems for inventory and sales.
- Maintain e-commerce website.
- Maximize revenue options including developing relationships that result in bulk orders and maintaining community partnerships.
- Create content for Bookstore social media channels and writing weekly sales emails in conjunction with marketing.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- 4+ years as manager of a bookstore (or assistant manager of a large bookstore)
- Experience in book industry purchasing.
- Demonstrable expertise in merchandising
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Docs, bookstore software, Mailchimp, and social media.
- Enthusiastic reader.
- Flexibility in schedule; weekends and holidays are required.
This is a full-time position. Salary $38,000 to $42,000 + bonus based on performance.
- Full COVID-19 vaccination by the start of employment.
- Commitment to the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bookstore Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Start Date: ASAP.
City of Asylum Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. It is our policy to be fair and equitable in our relations with our employees and applicants. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers and promotions, selection for training opportunities, wage and salary administration, decisions regarding separation from employment, layoffs, returns from layoffs, family care leave, social and recreational programs, and the application of all benefits and policies are based on individual qualifications for the positions being filled, and are also to be administered regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age (40 or older), sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, political affiliation, veterans’ status, disabilities (physical and mental), medical condition (including cancer and HIV status), and any other characteristic protected by law.
City of Asylum is committed to results-oriented management aimed at achieving equal employment opportunity and shall apply good faith efforts to seek out, employ, train, and promote women and minority group members. If, because of a disability, you need accommodations in completing this application or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or call 412-435-1110.
About City of Asylum Bookstore:
City of Asylum builds a just community by protecting and celebrating freedom of creative expression. We provide sanctuary to endangered literary writers and artists, so that that they can continue to create and their voices are not silenced. We offer a broad range of free literary, arts, and humanities programs in a community setting to build social equity through cultural exchange. And by transforming dilapidated properties into homes for our programs, we anchor neighborhood economic development.
City of Asylum was founded in 2004 and is the largest writer sanctuary in the world. Located in Pittsburgh, PA, we are the U.S. headquarters of the International Cities of Refuge Network (ICORN), and do important work locally, nationally, and globally. We present over 160 free arts and humanities programs annually in Pittsburgh. Our international peers now deem us “the model for what a City of Asylum can be…expanding the idea of what is possible.” Our neighbors credit us with breaking down barriers of race, gender, and class in our community.
Web site: www.cityofasylum.org
City of Asylum Bookstore:
City of Asylum Bookstore is part of City of Asylum @ Alphabet City—a facility that also includes spaces for readings, performances, workshops, and a full-service restaurant.
City of Asylum Bookstore maintains a broad focus on international and translated literature, and books by and about marginalized voices, with an inventory of about 12,000 books.
Bookstore author readings are managed by our Director of Programs but planned and held in coordination with the bookstore.