Publishing Sales Representative, Pasadena
500 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, United States, 10110
Position: Full-Time, Hybrid
W. W. Norton & Company, headquartered in New York City, has been publishing good books since 1923. As an independent company owned wholly by its employees, we are unique among publishers and offer a different kind of company culture. As employee owners, we all work hard to achieve a common goal: to produce the best books and media possible--valuing the content above all--at ethical prices. In our almost 100-year history, Norton has published the work of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. We have produced books that are warmly received and books that stir up controversy. But one thing never changes—our commitment to remain a strong, independent house that seeks out the best authors and scholarship to challenge, engage, and educate students and the public.
We are looking for a Publishing Sales Representative to meet with professors and instructors to promote our textbooks, media, and other course materials in our XX territory. Location is flexible throughout the region.
- Unique company culture. We’re the kind of place where book nerds thrive. We value our independence and are dedicated to doing things differently than our competitors. We collaborate, innovate, and celebrate with our colleagues, and many of us have called Norton home for our entire career.
- Variety. Because you’re responsible for maintaining relationships and winning textbook and media adoptions at campuses across a large territory, you’ll travel to different campuses every day talking with professors and instructors in a variety of disciplines.
- Intellectual engagement. Finding out about instructors’ course challenges, innovative teaching strategies, and learning objectives means you’re continually discovering new disciplines and reading into textbooks from multiple fields. Norton representatives know what’s great about our books and media because we read and study them in preparation for our campus visits.
- Creativity and strategic thinking. As you work with professors to find the best Norton course materials for their classes, you will think creatively and strategically to find solutions that address the needs of students and instructors and grow your territory’s revenue.
- Career development. Norton values promoting from within, so career development is a company priority. As a Sales Representative, you sharpen your analytical and strategic skills on a daily basis. Managers are dedicated to developing representatives’ strengths, ability to prioritize, and professional goals.
- Mentorship. Besides working closely with a manager who will train, support, and help you develop in this role, Norton offers a mentorship program that pairs you with a more seasoned Norton representative to provide additional support and camaraderie.
- Profit sharing
- 401K matching
- Bonus potential, competitive salary, and healthcare coverage
- Company car, laptop, iPad, and phone
*Use of company car depends on driving record and eligibility. All policies and benefits described are subject to change at any time.
- Develop and maintain relationships with academic faculty to assess individual and departmental needs and promote Norton’s books and technology to current and prospective adopters.
- Meet with professors daily through a mix of on-campus and virtual calls during the academic year. When on campus, you’ll aim to meet with between 6-10 professors every day.
- Track territory sales opportunities in Salesforce, collaborating with your regional manager, specialists, editors, and marketing managers to provide solutions for faculty and think creatively about how to win business.
- Grow revenue and increase adoption rates across your territory.
- Teach faculty about Norton technology solutions that enhance classrooms (in-person, hybrid, and online) and support student learning and success. You will coordinate helping instructors set up and implement educational technology with our customer success team and facilitate student registration when needed.
- Provide exceptional customer service to current and potential adopters.
- From time to time you will host presentations and media and teaching workshops.
- Work with college bookstores to ensure orders are properly placed and fulfilled.
Please note- this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee
Are you a good fit?
If you are self-motivated, competitive, enthusiastic, adept at time management, independent, and persuasive, then the answer is yes! Norton representatives love discussing their favorite books, have a wide range of interests, and enjoy continually learning about new subjects. In order to apply, you must have a BA/BS degree and a valid driver's license. For some territories, you may be traveling overnight, anywhere from a few nights a month to more extensive travel.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- W. W. Norton & Company ('Norton') strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for all new Norton hires. Norton makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities, sincerely held religious beliefs, or other conditions protected by applicable law.
About W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.:
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital resources that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.