The Emerging Leaders Council of the Emerging Leaders Project, which works with the American Booksellers Association "to support, develop and provide a voice for the next generation of booksellers," has several new members and now consists of the follow representatives:
- Midwest Booksellers Association: Jay D. Peterson, manager, Magers and Quinn Booksellers, Minnapolis, Minn.
- Mountains and Plain Independent Booksellers Association: Joe Eichman, personnel, Tattered Cover Book Store, Denver, Colo.
- New Atlantic Independent Booksellers Association: Stephanie Anderson, manager, WORD, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Northern California Independent Booksellers Association: Jennifer Laughran, children's events, Books Inc., San Francisco, Calif.
- New England Independent Booksellers Association: Heather Gain, marketing manager, Harvard Book Store, Cambridge, Mass.
- Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association: sweet pea Flaherty, events coordinator/new book buyer, King's Books, Tacoma, Wash.
- Southern California Independent Booksellers Association: Emily Pullen, ordering manager, Skylight Books, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance: Rich Rennicks, bookseller, Malaprop's, Asheville, N.C.
The council noted with great appreciation the hard work of departing council members Jessica Stockton Bagnulo, former NAIBA rep, Megan Sullivan, former NEIBA rep, Jenn Northington, former MPIBA rep, and Caroline Green, former SIBA rep. All four were instrumental in starting the Emerging Leaders group at the Winter Institute in 2006, and their work while on the council helped develop projects like scholarships for Emerging Leaders to Winter Institute and gatherings of Emerging Leaders at regional trade shows. Those interested in more information about or working with the Emerging Leaders Project can read its blog or follow it on Twitter as @ABAEL.