Rodale is launching Rodale Kids, a children's imprint that will begin publishing in fall 2017 and feature fiction and nonfiction picture books, early reader titles, chapter books, how-to nonfiction, gift reference, and YA fitness and self-help. Rodale Kids will publish 30-45 books a year. Its first 10 titles are:
- A fitness book for teen girls by health and fitness star Tracy Anderson.
- Backseat Yoga, a collection of children's music artist and yoga teacher Kira Willey's movement and breathing exercises.
- Team Taekwondo, a graphic novel series from the American Taekwondo Association.
- The first two titles in the Positive Power series: I Am Kind and I Am Thankful.
- Chef Gino's Taste Test Challenge by chef and kids cooking expert Gino Campagna.
- Mrs. Peanuckle's Vegetable Alphabet and Mrs. Peanuckle's Fruit Alphabet, the first titles in a series of board books that teach healthy eating and the joys of the natural world.
- The King of Too Many Things by poet and children's book author Laurel Snyder and illustrator Aurore Damant, a modern fairy tale that addresses the value of appreciation in an over-consuming world.
- Body Fantastic by Dr. Howard Bennett, a pediatrician and contributor to KidsPost in the Washington Post, a reference guide to the human body.
The new imprint will be overseen by v-p and publisher Gail Gonzales, who said, "Our debut list is an inspiring reflection of the types of books we plan to publish--fun and entertaining titles that nourish the imagination, encourage a lifelong love of reading, and motivate good habits of nutrition, fitness, mindfulness, and environmental responsibility, all across a variety of age ranges."
Rodale Kids will be led by creative and editorial director of children's media Eric Wright. He is the creator of the Frankie Pickle series for Simon & Schuster, has illustrated more than two dozen books and been an animator for such companies as Walt Disney, Warner Bros. and Cartoon Network. He also has two decades of experience in branding and IP development.
Chairman, CEO and president Maria Rodale said, "It's long been a dream of mine to expand our award-winning and bestselling Rodale Books publishing program to kids, who are most open to learning new things."