Work at the Shelf!
Position open 9/22/14
Reports to: Marilyn Dahl, editor, Shelf Awareness for Readers
Shelf Awareness is looking for a few experienced book reviewers. We are especially interested in booksellers and librarians, but civilians are welcome to apply; if you are currently employed by a book publishing company, you are not eligible. This is a remote freelance position; reviewers can be located anywhere in the United States.
Responsibilities: Each reviewer must be able to consistently submit 2 to 4 reviews each month, 250 words each. You tell us what you can reasonably accomplish, but please be realistic. It is easier to increase a quota after several months of dependable work than deal with an unexpected deficit.
Qualifications: We are looking for reviewers who have expertise in and a fondness for the following subjects:
- Art, design, architecture and photography
- Body, mind and spirit
- Business and economics
- Current issues
- Health and fitness, medicine
- Political science
We want writers with distinct voices, people who can convey their enthusiasm for a book to a diverse audience while maintaining individuality and objectivity.
Pay: We will pay $40 per 250-word review.
To apply: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include all of the following:
- A short biography that also mentions the writing you are doing now (reviews publications, blogs)
- Three sample reviews (including at least one that hews closely to our 250-word requirement)
- The categories in which you are interested (if you do not see a category listed above, that is because we have enough established reviewers to cover those genres)
- The number of reviews you know you can produce each month
- Questions, if you have any